Notices

Where To Start with Therapy/Help?

Old 03-04-2024, 04:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where To Start with Therapy/Help?

I don’t know how this works. I have asked my husband to seek marriage counseling for us and therapy for himself. But….do people with alcohol use disorders get referred to alcohol treatment by therapists? I don’t know if he’s supposed to just do therapy or if he is supposed to do that and some kind of treatment?
Old 03-04-2024, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First, are we talking about marriage or alcohol or some combination? If it's just alcohol therapy can help, and sometimes plays a big role in recovery. Of course, that's the same for marriage now that I think about it. But fixing either of those is going to require more than therapy. After therapy the strategies will begin to diverge, but I thing we are going to need to know more from you to offer the nuts and bolts you are looking for.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Most marriage counselors are going to require him to be sober to go to marriage counseling.

He left your kids unattended while he was passed out drunk.

This is way past the marriage counseling stage...and even individual counseling for him has to be his idea. Would they recommend treatment? Of course. Would he agree? That's the $64,000 question.

Even more to the point, this isn't your issue to solve (his drinking) and unless he wants to get well and/or go to counseling or treatment, you aren't going to be able to "make" that happen.

Spend your time finding safety for your children.