Notices
View Poll Results: How often did you drink in a typical week?
Everyday
68.37%
Every 2nd day
11.53%
Every 3 or 4 days
11.37%
On the weekends only
6.43%
Other
5.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 607. You may not vote on this poll

Were you a daily drinker or every other day? #2

Old 09-28-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HTown View Post
I drank at least 4 beers a night, often drank a 6 pack and got in the car to go get more. 2 Mimosas at brunch on Saturday/Sunday, then drank beer all day watching football on weekends. Out at dinner, always bought at least a bottle of wine. Last time I was at South Beach in Miami I sat on the beach and was brought 7 beers for the afternoon. Got up and went out to dinner like that was normal.
I am so glad I stopped drinking al together!
Would drink after shifts in the morning or late at night, or if off work all day. Never had any limits really cans bottles spirits boxes of wine. Have done some hideous multiway benders when I would be waiting for the bottle shop to open. Four-day ago the last "moderate" bender ended... The recycle bin was full...
Old 09-28-2017, 05:49 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Just reading through this thread makes me feel slightly nauseated. It brings back memories of horrific hangovers and the pain (physical and mental) that went along with them. I don't want to ever touch that poison again. Gross.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Weekend warrior. About 3-4 nights a week on average but it would be A LOT and I'd get violent and use hard drugs like cocaine almost every time I would get drunk which is why I have to stop.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:27 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

This thread has done me a great deal of good. Thank you.
I have sat and watched for a few days and I was uncertain whether I belonged here, or not - and now I know that I do.
My story echoes so many others. Started binge drinking - weekends only. Over the years boundaries changed and I've ended up at a point where I don't consider myself a full-blown alcoholic, but I know that my relationship with alcohol has changed significantly. I don't live under a bridge and I don't drink in the mornings but I am only going one way - so I am getting out whilst I can.
Thanks again.

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.
-Lao Tzu
Old 09-28-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
You see when I see how much and how often everyone drinks and it makes me think that I'm not that bad and it totally confuses my mind. Dee please shed some light on this. I mean do you have to be on that daily heavy level to constitute being here? Makes me feel like I'm over exaggerating my issue with alcohol?
This is the one that got me because I have felt exactly the same for years.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Editor

Daily....more beers than I can count...use to keep count...then couldnt anymore. Drank only in the evenings...except weekends...started at 10 am most weekends and wasted everyone of them. Started missing more and more work(sick days)....then finally saw the light before I lost everything, I sure do love being sober!
Old 09-28-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I checked every day cuz that's what I progressed to.

- As a teenage, weekends only.
- Young adult with a paycheck, darn right I'll drink whenever I want. Weekends then started on Thursday, then Wednesday...
- By late 20's every day except when dieting to make weight (I was in the Army). "Maintenance drinking' M-Th and total oblivion Friday after work til sometime on Sunday.

Two weeks after turning 29 in 1986, I hit a bottom that got my attention. Been doing sobriety 'every day' instead of drinking every day ever since.

[I][/So very grateful.I]
Old 09-28-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Daily. All the time. I started out with wine, a bottle a night. For years and years that was all I had and while I know that isn't great, it was a finite amount. When the bottle was empty I stopped. Then I started buying the wine earlier in the day, so I'd buy two because I knew I'd run out earlier. Then 4 years ago I took a huge risk and opened my own business. It was stressful and a very steep learning curve. As the owner and manager I was in charge of the booze ordering. Free drinks for me! I started drinking at work more and more, never drunk, never sober though either. Just always sipping sipping sipping. No one really knew. In the end I would put away most of a bottle of vodka a day, and then go home with my 'respectable' bottle of wine in the evening as usual. My first drink was as soon as I got to work, 7:30am. I denied there was a problem as there was no real drama. I don't get hysterical or say things I don't mean, or miss work because of hangovers.. The business could afford my habit, and I just carried working on as usual.
Now that I've had 25 days without it, I can see that I wasn't operating as well as I thought I was. That sounds so dumb and obvious now, but denial is a powerful thing. I've never quit before now. Never wanted to, never tried.
This is a good place to end up.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

When I was drinking I drank every day. I understand what Sunshine means though, because though I drank every day, four beers got me drunk and six would have me sick as a dog the next day. Toward the end I had to give up hard liquor because it made me so sick I would miss work for days.
I'm small, I'm a woman, and I'm sensitive to alcohol and drugs. My denial locked onto that for a long, long time. I kept thinking, "I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics drink a quart a day, and a lot of them drink around the clock. I'm just crazy, that's all!"
What really made the difference for me is when I wrote it all out, what it did to me, what I lost, how I felt in the mornings, the dangerous things it made me do, the loss of self respect. I also wrote out all the things that made me know I was an alcoholic. It made a huge difference for me to write it out, because then when my AV started singing that song into my ear, I could read what I'd written. Now I remember it pretty well without reading it. Helps me a lot!
Old 09-28-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I've never missed a day of work because of alcohol - although there have been days that it would have been more professional to stay at home. I have also never drank on my own as I have viewed this as the start of the slippery slope.
I have been dry for 39 days now and am loving the clear head, the better sleep, the increase in confidence, the lack of anxiety and the extra cash. Not to mention the extra time that I now have to do the things that I like to do.
I didn't think I had a problem before I stopped drinking, but after seeing the world through sober eyes for the first time for a long time - I now realise that I did.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

This needs "Everyday, around the clock" option. That was the end of things.

~Bunnez
Old 09-30-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Oh God, I feel bad now... I used to drink 4-5 litres of wine a day... Happy when it was gone at the end of the day... Trouble is the local store would often have "buy 3 discounts"... I earn decent money too at the time just couldn't see the point on spending money unnecessarily when wine did the trick...
😕
Old 09-30-2017, 04:36 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Every day for me. Got to the point where I was starting to sneak a drink before the work day ended. I was starting to get dry heaves on the way to the closest bar after work. I refused to put 2 and 2 together. Never again. I never ever ever want to be back in that state again.
Knowing the following story will unfold again keeps me sober.

First day -Just have a small half glass of beer "for the taste"
Next day -just have 1 beer cause I controlled it last time. Husband offers shot and I say no I can't drink the hard stuff.
Next day - have my beer and the shot my husband offered cause I controlled myself. Only this time I loose all control cause I actually got a buzz and can't stop till I'm sick.
Next day - don't go to work and continue drinking cause I feel so bad for being hungover and not going to work.
And again and again and again
RIGHT BACK TO SQUARE ONE AGAIN!

Never again.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

This is what pisses me off........I have no clean answer to this question....

Can I tick all of them...

But you see I never thought I was "addicted" because initially I was not a "daily drinker"

But then looking back in periods of time and even this week, I have succumbed to the daily drinker conundrums......I've woke with the shakes and knew that a hair of the dog with equally fix me and then fvck me for the next day......

I've known that alcohol affected me badly from day one........but I've fought it.........hellos so many court appearances and doing drugs that I never would have done sober and OD'ing several times.....

Then doing a professional wine and spirit course.......

then binging and being arrested again. then quiting . I guess I became a binge drinker later.....because of quitting and binging again...

Fvcking lost on these spirals of destruction
Old 10-01-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Weekend drinker, would drink 3-4 tall boys and a bottle or two of wine each night, then the weekends got longer and started to include Weds and Thursday's as well. Just decided I couldn't do it anymore
Old 10-01-2017, 08:48 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Changed over the years (progressed, of course) until I landed in the hospital.

every day, mostly all day, at the end. slugs to get up and get going, a bit throughout the day to stave off wd and then at 4, when I was home with the kid, all bets were off. still managed to work through that entire evening while drunk. good god. vodka, all the time. straight from the bottle.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:01 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I wasn't a daily drinker, I was a binger.

I could go multiple days without alcohol, but end up binging for 2 or 3 days of the week. I'd spend the following days recovering.

So it was an endless cycle of either drinking or recovering from drinking. It's a wonder I was ever able to "function" like that.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:10 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I was all over the place.

Started just getting hammered on the weekends.

Got my own place and was drinking more and more.

At the end was drinking about a litre of liquor everyday and was making sure that I didn't run out.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:29 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

1.5 bottles of red wine a night

Weekends more as I deserved it

Holiday time 3 plus a day plus spirits when I woke at 5am feeling ill

Makes me sick even writing this - what a chump I was 👎🏻
Old 10-02-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Most the time I would drink to blackout on Friday or Saturday. It didn't take much to blackout, it could be 4 beers, 1 captain coke, or 10 beers. Suppose it depended on if I ate anything or not, usually I didn't eat so I'd buzz faster. On occasion I'd have a couple beers during the week, that was prior to quiting 9 days ago. When I first moved my friend lives around the corner, at that time I'd consume 3 bottles of wine every 3 days or so, then it went to 5 bottles in 1 night, that was a wreck of an evening.. Now, none, notta, zilch!!! I'm on day 9 and I feel great, well... I'm more tired and getting a little depressed, but working through it by working out, and not giving up on myself mentally or physically.