Notices

5 days sober

Old 08-18-2017, 01:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 days sober

Hey everyone,

I'm new to recovery, currently 5 days sober and as I was drinking every day or at the most every second, this is the longest I haven't drank in over a year and a half (I'm 21).

Since I gave up alcohol I have noticed that I am having cravings for it and becoming anxious and restless that I don't have it, I have never been much of a sweet tooth but now crave cakes and other sugary foods.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on ways to stop these cravings? I am trying to distract myself with playing games on my phone, playing sudoku and I recently brought a fidget cube but I feel they're not that effective.

My main goal is to stay alcohol free at all times unless I have a party or event, for example I have a drinks night on September 2nd so wanting to stay sober until then.

Any tips on how to achieve these goals?

And does anyone know if there is a correlation between drinking alcohol and weight gain?

Last edited by snixfairy; 08-18-2017 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Forgot to add information
Old 08-18-2017, 01:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome congrats on 5 days. Yes at least for me beer =lbs
Old 08-18-2017, 01:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In answer to your last question look at this.

How Many Calories In Beer? - Men's Health

Disclaimer: I'm not recommending any kind of drinking.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done keep at it
Old 08-18-2017, 02:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[Gentle voice]
Since you don't plan to quit permanently, some of the withdrawal and cravings you mention will keep happening. When we drink alcohol, we ingest a lot of sugar, so when those of us who were heavy or alcoholic drinkers need something to replace it; for me and plenty of others it's stuff like ice cream.

Perhaps give some thought to whether you really want to quit - what is drinking costing you vs doing "for" you? This site isn't one where you'll find a lot of support about what to do between planned binges (your party), and you are very young so perhaps you haven't reached any of the "yets" that most of us did before we quit.

If you do quit for good, your body will heal in time, and you won't keep restarting any kind of "clock" between drinking episodes. Take care.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi snixfairy

I hope you decide to quit permanently.

If you're a drinker like me, you can't turn your desire for more booze off and on - and basically alcohol is empty calories so if you really want to get trim, or stay that way, not drinking would be a massive help..

D
Old 08-18-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done on 5 days
Old 08-18-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

5 days is great! Have you considered quitting for good?
Old 08-18-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snixfairy View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm new to recovery, currently 5 days sober and as I was drinking every day or at the most every second, this is the longest I haven't drank in over a year and a half (I'm 21).
Originally Posted by snixfairy View Post

My main goal is to stay alcohol free at all times unless I have a party or event, for example I have a drinks night on September 2nd so wanting to stay sober until then.

Any tips on how to achieve these goals?

And does anyone know if there is a correlation between drinking alcohol and weight gain?
I am having a hard time with what you're saying. You start by saying you're in recovery. You're sober for 5 days after drinking every day. 5 days is the longest you've abstained for over a year and a half. That really sounds like you have a problem .

But, then you say that your goal is to not drink until you want to drink. You can't be in recovery until you want to drink, in my opinion (and in the opinion of many more in recovery).

It sounds like you have a problem, but that you're not ready to hear the solution yet. That solution is abstinence and actual recovery. I hope you don't have to learn the hard way like many of us do.

And yes, there is a correlation between drinking alcohol and weight gain. Between the calories in various types of alcohol and the garbage we tend to eat when drunk, it's almost a sure thing.

I'd be happy to talk to you more about things - I've been in your shoes and now here I am 10 years later finally admitting I had/have a problem and real recovery and treatment is the way to fix it.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was in my twenties when I started to realize that I drank differently than others. I finally stopped at 41. Maybe give sobriety some room to run and see where it takes you?