Notices

Alcohol Cravings, Drug Epidemic in U.S.A.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Cravings, Drug Epidemic in U.S.A.

Not feeling too well this morning but gradually improving. Too many family visitors to our house, too much commotion, too much in the newspapers and the TV news.
I just want to say two things, none of which relate to politics or current affairs. I continue to be very pleased indeed that I have no craving for alcohol, don’t really think about it. My sons and wife, who are in no way alcoholics or addicted (perhaps having lived through my earlier days) drink a glass or two of wine to settle down or to get to sleep at night. They often leave the corked wine bottle open in the pantry. I look at it and there seem to be no messages from my AV. I always watch my AV, particularly for an ambush from behind me.
The second thing is the heroin and fentanyl epidemic, particularly in upper New England. Truckoads of the stuff which I hear is now coming largely from Venezuela.
In no way should users be arrested and put in jail merely for “possession”. Drug dealers are quite another matter. Addiction should be treated for what what it is, a health problem. Those who are addicted often are drug dealers. They are criminals with a drug problem. They can be treated medically in jail, form recovery groups, perhaps isolated from those who persist in using. I claim no expertise on that and only state that alcoholism, drug addiction, is a health problem and should be treated as such.
Any comments? Non political please. Thanks.

W.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i agree about it being an epidemic and it seems to be spiraling more and more out of control. i attend a few different AA meetings in my area regularly and on the typical day there seems to be as many heroin addicts attending as alcoholics. and they are young i also agree that education and rehabilitation is best for these folks rather than incarceration. as far as the supply side i will refrain from that as it would lead to my political opinions and you asked to refrain from that.

nice to see you posting again. i always enjoyed your threads.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I have learned not to talk of politics and to confine my remarks to the 18th and early 19th Century, where, at least in the literary world, the sun was shining brightly. As you know my other favorite topic, indeed, addiction, is dogs. I approach cats with caution and they do so with me. A camel once fell in love with my son but her affections were not reciprocated. Although that was his choice not mine, I must confess that I was somewhat relieved but I would never interfere with my kids choice of companions!
Old 08-17-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to see you posting Bill

D
Old 08-17-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's good to see you posting Bill

D
Thanks Dee. Sounds like a "Hello Dolly!" situation,, but I don't look much like Bette Midler! (Do I?)

Bill
Old 08-17-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I doubt it Bill

D
Old 08-17-2017, 10:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Oregon just voted to reduce first time drug use of any kind from a felony to a misdemeanor, with massive support from law enforcement. The plan is to instigate a yearlong program for those arrested.

Nothing but a good thing.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I see that the most recent issue of the National Geographic (September 2017) has a lead article on addiction (p.30). I feel confident that this is also on the internet and may also be on the National Geographic's TV channel.

W.