Notices

Letting an alcoholic/addict romantically down

Old 08-16-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Letting an alcoholic/addict romantically down

I'm currently on work leave for one year (training in medicine) and so I go to the local rehabilitation centre (in England healthcare is free but not all forms) so I don't have to pay. Anyway I am friends with most of the people there and one likes me because her friend told me and she is good looking but stills drinks, but nothing has been said between us apart from texts like what you up to and are you ok and I do fancy her and like her personality (she is quiet and not abrasive). But I do not want to get into a relationship with an alcoholic or addict and I don't know what to say or how to handle this situation. She keeps saying text me or phone me.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Just tell her you don't want to get involved at this time, doesn't have to be anything more than that.

Staying away because she drinks is a very valid reason for you, but you are under no obligation to say anything about that at all. It's also inappropriate for her to contact you as you know her via her professional job as a rehab worker too - another reason to stay away.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Rather than let the texts continue, just say straight that you do realise we can only be friends as you are studying or whatever at the mo and you can't be distracted good luck
Old 08-16-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Just tell her you don't want to get involved at this time, doesn't have to be anything more than that.

Staying away because she drinks is a very valid reason for you, but you are under no obligation to say anything about that at all. It's also inappropriate for her to contact you as you know her via her professional job as a rehab worker too - another reason to stay away.
She doesn't have work in the rehab she's a service user.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
Rather than let the texts continue, just say straight that you do realise we can only be friends as you are studying or whatever at the mo and you can't be distracted good luck
I might say we are friends but I'm not interested in getting involved in women because it may jeapordise my sobriety. Well I've sent the text now I don't how it will go down.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
She doesn't have work in the rehab she's a service user.
Even still, it doesn't really matter. If you don't want to get involved with her just say so.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am sure she will understand James
Old 08-17-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Did you get a response ? hope it all works out and you can just be friends
Old 08-20-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well yes I told her that I am attracted to her but I am not interested in getting in a relationship with an alcoholic or addict then she made a tirade against me saying she wasn't an alcoholic and was only sent there by the courts but she drinks every day lol. She said come to to the pub to talk, I said I don't want to be around drink she said just have coke lol.