Notices

Why You Aren't Sober Yet

Old 08-17-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Also a vote for #2 here.

Analogy:
You don't know how to make French toast. You want to make it. You look up the recipe and you make it.

Want, then action. Whatever it is we DECIDE we WANT - run a 5K, take a new job, paint our walls- require a decision to do it. Then we figure out how (and, really, with drinking, the only "how" that matters at first is obvious: quit drinking.) Then the ongoing "how" is readily available if we want to take the instructions.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Also a vote for #2 here.

Analogy:
You don't know how to make French toast. You want to make it. You look up the recipe and you make it.

Want, then action. Whatever it is we DECIDE we WANT - run a 5K, take a new job, paint our walls- require a decision to do it. Then we figure out how (and, really, with drinking, the only "how" that matters at first is obvious: quit drinking.) Then the ongoing "how" is readily available if we want to take the instructions.
True, but if you're at a sobriety forum, you already WANT to be sober. My assumption only applies to the people reading it.

I often see posts where people write "I drank again, so I guess I didn't really want to be sober."
Oh really? Then why are you posting at a sobriety forum?
That's just an excuse to keep drinking. Right along with I can't get sober.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

^^^Except for the folks here who want to moderate, or find justification for drinking, or just refuse to listen to what people tell them about making that decision....
Old 08-18-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
^^^Except for the folks here who want to moderate, or find justification for drinking, or just refuse to listen to what people tell them about making that decision....
Perhaps I should have titled the post, Why You Aren't Sober Yet (If You've Been Trying To Be Sober).

I love your signature line, btw. I smile every time I see it.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great thread. One of the hallmarks of addiction is that it makes us believe there is no solution no matter what we do, but those thoughts are nothing more than pure AV. Finding a good recovery plan can pull ANYONE out of even the deepest of holes.