Notices

Another surgery

Old 08-15-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another surgery

For those who have been around awhile, you know that I had major surgery on both knees in 2015. I found out today I need another surgery on my left knee. I have a torn meniscus, its been bothering me (sometimes severely) for months and finally going to get it taken care of. Its completely unrelated to the first surgery.

Here's my thought process, I know I will probably be offered opiate based meds for pain for a week. I seriously think I am going to turn this down. I can deal with the pain, I don't want to risk going through any type of withdrawals again. I didn't have too bad, but its still uncomfortable and inconvenient.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry you need more surgery Jeff.

Does your doctor know about your addictive past? if so it might be good to run your concerns about meds past him or her, there may be other alternatives?

If they don't know and you don't want to tell them, then I guess its your call - you've been through it before.

best wishes anyway,
D
Old 08-15-2017, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Meniscus surgery is pretty minor. I had it done and was back to work on my feet 12 hours a day in less than a week. Three tiny incisions about a half inch long each, all the surgery itself is done with tiny tools and a camera. The meniscus itself is shaved away and suctioned out (the damaged parts of it.)

Wanna see my videotape of my surgery? No? Understandable.

I don't think I took anything stronger than regular Tylenol...even that only for a couple days. I hope yours goes as smoothly.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i hope the surgery goes well, is there nothing else you could take that isn't an opiate?
Old 08-15-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Sorry you need more surgery Jeff.

Does your doctor know about your addictive past? if so it might be good to run your concerns about meds past him or her, there may be other alternatives?

If they don't know and you don't want to tell them, then I guess its your call - you've been through it before.

best wishes anyway,
D
Thanks Dee. Actually yes, he's fully aware of my past. He was my roommate in college. We talked about it a bit today.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Meniscus surgery is pretty minor. I had it done and was back to work on my feet 12 hours a day in less than a week. Three tiny incisions about a half inch long each, all the surgery itself is done with tiny tools and a camera. The meniscus itself is shaved away and suctioned out (the damaged parts of it.)

Wanna see my videotape of my surgery? No? Understandable.

I don't think I took anything stronger than regular Tylenol...even that only for a couple days. I hope yours goes as smoothly.
Thanks Bimini, my understanding is its pretty minor as well. Arthroscopic and back at it in no time. I'm actually kind of excited because this pain has gotten pretty bad.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
i hope the surgery goes well, is there nothing else you could take that isn't an opiate?
Yes, I'm sure there is. I'm guessing Tylenol for a few days.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jeff, I hope the surgery goes well and that there will be minimal pain.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Best of luck on your surgery, thomas!
Old 08-15-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hope you have a full and speedy recovery, Jeff.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sending my best wishes this surgery alleviates your pain, Jeff.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wishing you the best Jeff. You will get through it buddy. Can't keep a good man down😀
Old 08-15-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had the same concern. Morphine did not touch my pain while I was in hospital.
I am maxed-out on Gabbapentin too. A nurse suggested I try Tramadol along with Tylenol and it worked like magic for me. Yes, it is related to opiate family but way down at the bottom of the spectrum. Best of luck to you
Old 08-15-2017, 09:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had knee surgery for torn meniscus back in January. second one on my right knee. the first 32 yrs ago when most the meniscus was removed so I had some arthritis also. this time I had a large medial meniscus cyst caused by the torn meniscus which required an incision and 10 staples besides the 3 little holes. i was prescribed 5 days 5 mg. hydrocodone (vicadin). i was glad to have them when the novacaine that was pumped into my knee wore off. i had no withdrawals or desire to ask for a refill and i am an ex opiate addict and struggling alcoholic. my biggest concern was that it would trigger me to drink and a couple weeks later i did but i don't think it was related as i was struggling on and off anyways. it's your call. good luck on the surgery. 8 months later mine is somewhat better but still not great. next is a replacement. oh yay !
Old 08-16-2017, 01:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck with the surgery Jeff . Looking back youve been through much worse .
There,s an excedllent topical ointments in UK the same stuff the dentist mumbs your gum with but you rub it on which ever part is sore ( I dont use it but know someone who does and you have to wrestle with the doctor to get is as it expensive.