Notices

Job relocated above a bar

Old 08-14-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Job relocated above a bar

I have other 81 days of sobriety. Everything is going well. Started a new job 6 weeks ago and things are going good. Today, I found out that the company I work for is being relocating above a bar. Something I would have never thought in my whole world this would happen. Also adds an extra 20 minutes to my commit time. I can go out with friends to bars or clubs and not drink anything because it only happens once or twice a month but something I would have to walk through everyday is a different story. I'm upset about this because I don't want the reminder for me everyday I would have to walk through that I need to deal with. Its not a restaurant but a brewery bar.

What are my options? My last job was a 1099 for the last 4 years so I can't get employment insurance.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhyNotNowMe View Post
I have other 81 days of sobriety. Everything is going well. Started a new job 6 weeks ago and things are going good. Today, I found out that the company I work for is being relocating above a bar. Something I would have never thought in my whole world this would happen. Also adds an extra 20 minutes to my commit time. I can go out with friends to bars or clubs and not drink anything because it only happens once or twice a month but something I would have to walk through everyday is a different story. I'm upset about this because I don't want the reminder for me everyday I would have to walk through that I need to deal with. Its not a restaurant but a brewery bar.

What are my options? My last job was a 1099 for the last 4 years so I can't get employment insurance.
Life is full of challenges, and this is just another one. I wish I could say that being sober is a cake walk, but it just isn't. I think you can probably manage. There are temptations all over the place; that doesn't mean you have to give in to them. Good luck - you can do it!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First question is whether you actually have to walk through the bar to get to work or there is a seperate entrance?

This is a tough one. I could see myself managing the bar, by just keeping on walking and pretending (or not) I didn't like the people there, and making sure I didn't get to know the people there.
I think I would need a robust, multi-faceted plan for the eventuality that my co-workers wanted to go for a quick drink.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

Have you decided to quit ? If you haven't then bars could be places you drink.

If you have decided to quit , then bars are just places your AV will point out , sometimes to quite the annoyance level. But that's all it is AV noise, ignore it , it will subside, if you have decided to quit .
Old 08-14-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also wonder if you have to physically walk through the bar to get to your job upstairs? It could be that you don't enter the bar, but go upstairs through a separate entrance.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

is it possible your jumping to a conclusion a little too quick?

i have been in many bars that had businesses/apartments above and they all had seperate entrances.

having tenants or employees walking through all the time would be terrible for bar.
not to mention moving in and moving out day,shopping day, deliveries and pickups for the business, company for the tenant showing up.........

in short, i think your options are to first find out the facts.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I doubt any business would have an entrance that went thru a bar.

And just because the business is above a bar, doesn't mean you have to go in the bar. If you're determined to stay sober, your job location shouldn't deter your resolve.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Echoing what others said, then backing up a minute: what is your plan for sobriety? You say it is going well at 81 days (good job!) - what are you doing to be sober and live a sober and full life?

For me, being a dedicated AAer means my problem has been removed- alcohol is just a non-issue- and my daily program and spiritual work keep that the case. Further, I actually went back to work at a restaurant at a little less than six months sober last year, and had no problem.

We always have the choice to drink or not. Working a program of AA and what's grown from it makes that choice easy for me.

Good luck.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 81 days! As for the brewpub, its going to do what a brewpub is going to do. Earlier this year, one opened along my running route. And yeah, it was a challenge at first, but it got easier. As with grocery stores and gas stations, alcohol is always going to be there. The question is, will it remind you of what you cannot have, or what you've been freed from?
Old 08-14-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like others have said you're likely to have your own entrance.

As far as bars go, there's one on every corner just about - I don't notice them anymore - no reason why you can get to that point too, WhyNotNowMe