Notices

I am more ready than ever - 7 days sober

Old 08-14-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am more ready than ever - 7 days sober

Hi everyone, introducing myself. Mom of four boys, wife to a great guy, life nearly turned upside down from alcohol.

I was raised by alcoholics. My mom got sober when I was a teenager and works in the field of sobriety. My real dad and ex stepdad are both terrible alcoholics still. I thought the way they drank was the norm so I grew up with that mindset.

I was drinking anywhere from a six-pack a day (on the rare light day) to a bottle of wine plus a six pack or a 12-pack a day -- pretty much every single day for the last ten years -- and 4-6 beers a day for the 10 years before that. The last few months, in particular, were the worst -- driving drunk to the store to get more, not remembering it but seeing evidence of it the next morning; stomach pain; fights with my incredibly patient husband (or rather attacks by me on him while he put up with it and just told me over and over that I needed to quit); forgetting important things; my professional life starting to fail, etc.

I've tried to quit before, but never with the mindset that I was an alcoholic and couldn't drink anymore.

Recently, I went on vacation with a friend and spent more than $500 on alcohol in 6 days and made some stupid choices. That was the wakeup call I needed. In a way, it was the best thing that could have happened to me. Came home and tied one on one more time and then realized I was just sick of it all. My resolve has been strong and I kicked alcohol to the curb.

The crazy thing is I work in the health and fitness industry and preach what I was not practicing. I gained 30 pounds in the last two years, my face has been puffy and red, I'm bloated, and I could see people were starting to notice I had a problem.

Today is my 7th day sober. While I have had some withdrawal symptoms (bad dreams, night sweats, stomach issues, insomnia, and headaches), I also feel strong and like I can do this. Amazingly, I haven't really had cravings...maybe twinges. That kind of scares me because I know they will come up and I will have to deal with them. But I feel like I have just made up my mind and know I can never drink again. I also recently started on Wellbutrin (2 months ago) and I feel like that is helping with not having cravings and pulling me out of the depression I realize I have been in for the last several years.

I want to be the best mom I can be and not miss out on my younger three boys' lives because my older son (now 22) had a lush for a mom for his life. He was the one who mentioned to me a couple of months ago that he was worried and suggested I shouldn't drink anymore. That kickstarted this whole thing.

The only thing I am scared of is the cravings that I know will come my way and how I will deal with them. I feel like I have been lucky so far, but I am nervous.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. You're in a good place. Sounds like you have a supportive family and even supportive work life. You can do this.

Cravings happen. If they aren't happening now don't worry about them now. Make a plan and focus on your plan and your sobriety only.

I killed the booze a year ago, with the help of this site. Try joining the August class, it was a lifeline for me. Don't think about tomorrow, focus on today, on right now.

Once you have a little perspective, which you already have after seven days, it can and will get easier. You'll have hard times too. That's what the plan is for.

Mine was simple. I have a baby, it's my sobriety. I'm holding it sacrosanct. I won't drink today. I will embrace the change that comes with that. I will come here for help when I need it. I will seek out real life support too. Helping others. Helping myself. Practice gratitude.

Glad you're here.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Welcome!!
You are quitting for all the right reasons..
Your kids are worth it!

When I quit.. I had withdrawal symptoms similar to you.
Nothing terrible,,,

The positives to your health will mount up too..
Your face and body will bounce back.
I lost 10 lbs in the first few months.
Which is a huge plus!
Old 08-14-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Originally Posted by DoingThis View Post
The only thing I am scared of is the cravings that I know will come my way and how I will deal with them. I feel like I have been lucky so far, but I am nervous.
The way to deal with cravings and stay sober is to not give into them.

There are ways to cope with cravings, to distract oneself, and so forth. Techniques. But there is no way to make them go away except time. And that means remaining sober, which means saying NO to thoughts of alcohol.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Doin,

Welcome. Wanting to quit is half the battle won.

My freedom from booze is founded in the science of addiction....for now.

I learned that booze, and other drugs, alters our natural ability to feel happy.

Dopamine, endorphins, and adrenaline.

It takes a long long time to begin to appreciate feeling natural, but me knowing this makes the suffering and uncomfortable times tolerable.

I didn't know any of this until i was 80 days clean and thought i had done permanent brain damage to myself.

I found SR and got answers, hope, and confidence. I also learned that continued relapse can lead to eventual insanity.

That scared me...more motivation to stay stopped.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Excellent...keep on going!

Old 08-14-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Doing This - you'll find a ton of support ad good ideas here
some great ideas on cravings here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 08-14-2017, 09:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

You came to the right place. Just take days in 24 hour increments for now, try not to worry about much more than that
Old 08-14-2017, 09:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Doing This, welcome!

We are glad you are here. This is a great place for support. It has made a huge difference for me. I agree with D122y, wanting to quit is half the battle won. This time feels different for me; something clicked. It sounds like it has for you too.

Please stick around! We are here to help.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Doingthis i'm on day 5 I feel the same way just tired of it or shall I say sick of it stay strong this is a great place for support.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done for sharing. I hope you'll make the most of all the support that's available here. I kept thinking I could quit drinking on my own but I've learned that for me, the best chance is when I make a through recovery plan, follow the programme and - very importantly - get face-to-face support through meetings with other people.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

keep going
Old 08-15-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind words and support everyone. I am still going strong! Drinking lots of sugar free ginger ale and feeling great (other than insomnia - but it's better than a hangover!).

One helpful note for anyone who has a sweet tooth. Stay AWAY from sugar free candy! I ate about 15 sugar free taffies the night before last. And OMG. Did you know that will cause major GI upset? I think it totally finished off the detoxification process though!
Old 08-15-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm on day 7 today, n going to my 2nd SMART meeting tonight.Feeling fine on the whole, but have had negative reactions from an ex drinking friend
Old 08-15-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi DoingThis. Well done on 7 days.
I am using SMART Recovery and have learned so much about dealing with urges and cravings which is helping me no end. I feel more confident and in control with my recovery. I have learned that cravings are only feelings. Uncomfortable feelings. Uncomfortable feeling which go away. They won't kill me. If I resist urges they will get weaker and less frequent. If I give in and drink, I am guaranteed another urge.
You are half way there- you are expecting the urges, so don't be afraid. Be prepared with tools and techniques and take control of your life and recovery. Because you can. Carly
Old 08-15-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlygirl View Post
Hi DoingThis. Well done on 7 days.
I am using SMART Recovery and have learned so much about dealing with urges and cravings which is helping me no end. I feel more confident and in control with my recovery. I have learned that cravings are only feelings. Uncomfortable feelings. Uncomfortable feeling which go away. They won't kill me. If I resist urges they will get weaker and less frequent. If I give in and drink, I am guaranteed another urge.
You are half way there- you are expecting the urges, so don't be afraid. Be prepared with tools and techniques and take control of your life and recovery. Because you can. Carly
Isn't SMART fantastic.It has really clicked with me right away me , very common sense approach 😀
Old 08-15-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Candie
Can't say enough the positive impact that SMART is having on my life. I attend a weekly face to face and a weekly online meeting and get different things from both of them
Old 08-15-2017, 09:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlygirl View Post
Hi Candie
Can't say enough the positive impact that SMART is having on my life. I attend a weekly face to face and a weekly online meeting and get different things from both of them
Hi hun,Trying to add u as a friend, but can't see how to do it on this ****** phone 😁