Notices

So I've been to AA a couple of times since my first encounter

Old 08-14-2017, 02:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I've been to AA a couple of times since my first encounter

Just going to say that it was all a great deal more positive than my first meeting, where I just turned up at what appeared to be a particularly bad time.

So, yeah, if you're like me and you stumble across a meeting that you don't find helpful, give them another shot or two because you're bound to find somewhere that suits you.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

very true. they can be quite different. keep going back. the more the merrier in early sobriety.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it. Just read your positivity on the other thread and am glad you are moving forward and finding good stuff in life.

I'd listen to the AA adage of "keep coming back" - things sink in gradually, you can find a home group or a couple of specific meetings you like, you can choose to go regularly (I did just about the 90/90)....and life can keep getting better. AA isn't the only way, but for me and many others it's the key.

Keep going.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Glad you had a better experience when you went back. I was pretty lucky and didn't have any really bad experiences, but there were definitely meetings I preferred. Now I go to a weekly women's only meeting and it has been hugely beneficial to me. I'll occasionally go to other meetings here and there, but am most comfortable with my home group. Hopefully you'll find a meeting that really "fits."
Old 08-14-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At least with AA you are welcome to say you don't really agree with it or you only partially agree with it and no-one is going to stop you taking part and expressing your views on it. I find that quite liberating.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nez

Meetings that don't suit me are probably my best teachers. Patience, tolerance, compassion, empathy, the list goes on and on...

Not only that but I spent far too many years trying to do or rearrange things so that they suited me. Didn't work too well for me. :~)