Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Moderation vs Harm Reduction methods vs quitting drinking programs

Notices

Moderation vs Harm Reduction methods vs quitting drinking programs

Old 08-14-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Do we want to get well? Are we willing to do what is necessary? The answer from a moderating point of view (in my case) was YES and YES. Until I took the first couple of drinks (pretty moderate!!) and then the eff-it button would be hit. So whether an alcoholic or problem drinker, seeking moderation is like howling for the moon.
Fantastic analysis, BB.

Originally Posted by jay37 View Post
...Guess it comes down to if the person is actually an alcoholic or not. If you are moderation and harm reduction wont work. most likely...
That is absolutely not what BB said, Jay.

What is this "most likely" business about? Interesting qualifier that leaves the door wide open to more drinking, whether alcoholic or not, wouldn't you say?

So whether an alcoholic or pro

blem drinker
, seeking moderation is like howling for the moon.
See? Either/or -- howling at the moon, waiting to let the werewolf out.

I guess my question is if you are more the problem drinker type and you can have a drink and not go on a week long bender is moderation or harm reduction viable alternatives to deal with the issue.
It may be, but you open up yourself to the possibility of more harm, and if you have previously abstained for extended periods of time, open yourself up to to re-addiction, by trying.

...I guess this question opens up a whole another can of worms as to when one qualifies as a alcoholic.
No such "can of worms" exists, Jay, except as a by-product of history, namely the abject failure of prohibition in the US and other western countries. This led to the perverse idea that only certain congenitally defective people "can't" drink, and that everyone else can party at will.

An alcoholic is essentially an alcohol addict, no different than a smoker who is addicted to nicotine, and no different than the dope fiend who is addicted to heroin. Like the smoker, the alcoholic certainly can drink, albeit likely at great risk to self and others.

The only difference is that the alcohol addict threatens society's eons old love affair with the bottle, by highlighting the fact that, while prohibition is not an option, perhaps alcohol is not so benign after all.

Ever wonder why the government requires that cigarette packs encourage quitting smoking entirely, but alcoholic beverages only suggest drinking responsibly? The disease concept of alcohol addiction protects vested interests.

Were there a disease of nicotinism to protect Big Tobacco, as the disease of alcoholism presently protects Big Liquor, cigarette packs would say 'smoke responsibly', and we would still see cigarette advertisements all over the airways. Perhaps one day, society will wise up and ban liquor ads as well.

Why, in your (Scientific and non-personal) opinion would someone let an intended 'normal' drink turn into the 'week long bender' other than not being able to control their drinking or make rational decisions about drinking once they had alcohol in them?

I'd also be interested to know your (scientific and non-personal) definition of an alcoholic.
The problem is historical and sociological. The consumer, whether problem drinker or alcoholic, extremely suggestible to the idea that only a minority of people "can't" drink (and that they might therefore be in the majority!) pays the price. At least until they harm others, in which case society pays the price as well.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I tried moderation and harm reduction......I failed.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I tried without even knowing what they were called. I failed miserably too.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I tried moderation and can tell you that, even if you might succeed, doing it if you are a problem drinker is not enjoyable most of the time.

Trying to control your drinking by stopping after one or two but really wanting more is downright unpleasant and left me feeling very uncomfortable.

Non-alcoholics are able to decide "Tonight one drink was enough and I'm not having more" without much conscious effort and not feeling uncomfortable at all. But for by far the majority of us problem drinkers that is simply torture, if sustainable at all.

For most problem drinkers I think in the end abstinence just proves so much easier.