Notices

is this true alcoholism?

Old 08-11-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power

You could debate the semantics of the word "alcoholic" all you want, but from the patterns you described above, I'd definitely say you have a problem with alcohol, and quitting could only be to your benefit. As for the neurological problems....I'm in a similar boat myself, actually. Memory problems, cognitive deficits, language issues.....it's very possible that the alcohol is the primary cause of these. I wish I could tell you it gets better, but so far I've yet to see any improvement over 7 weeks sober. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I had. I'd consult a medical professional regardless.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

yep.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry about diagnosing yourself as "alcoholic". Your stated consumption level would put you in the top 95%, and the risk-taking makes you a dangerous drinker, in my opinion. People don't usually blackout until they've reached triple the legal limit. At that level, accidents, choking, coma, and even death are possible.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I agree with others that alcoholic in itself is just a label. I like you got drunk a few times a week, however it was damaging my quality of life. So quitting drinking is the right thing to do, regardless of what you want to call it.

I think one of the lies we tell ourselves is unless we are the guy outside the store drunk all day everyday with nothing else, then we don't have a problem. There's people worse off with alcohol than me, but most people have better lives because they don't drink like me and I'd rather be like them.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I didn't drink everyday either.

Until I did.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

No offense, but if your friend had spent multiple stints in rehab, he should know better than to say anything so utterly foolish. You know you have a serious problem regardless of what label anyone uses for it. Do what you need to do to stop drinking and don't worry about what other people say.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Who cares what it is. Blacking out 2-3x/week is never good. How do you get anything done? Whatever you're calling it, it sounds like a problem. Good luck.

~Bunnez