Notices

Looking for support

Old 08-10-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for support

.. which is a pretty obvious headline. Isn't that the reason why we are all here!?

I have a problem which I am sure others have experience which is why I am reaching out here. I really want to stop drinking but I cannot take time away from my work to do an inpatient treatment program. I wish I could and yes, I know some will say of course I can but I truly cannot in order to keep a roof over my head. My problem is that every time I try to stop, my heart beats funny and I will have a drink in order to stop the symptoms. I feel like I need medical detox but I can't do anything in patient. Should I be fearful of the heart racing or should I just let it subside? Is this a normal side effect? Should I put myself in the ER overnight? I'm not really sure how to handle this I just know I don't want to drink anymore and I'm at the point I feel like I have to and I'm just worried about withdrawals ...

Your wisdom is very appreciated. I don't want to live like this anymore.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Congrats on your decision to pursue a sober life.

Seems like you need medical advice. Best to get that from a doctor.

Good Luck!
Old 08-10-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, 60.
I hear you. How about talking to your doc?
There are different treatment options out there. I hope you can find one that works for you.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, go to the doctors to put your mind at ease, could you go too AA meetings or try smartrecovery.org online, you will get lots of support here keep posting it helps, good luck
Old 08-10-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

There are intensive outpatient programs -IOP's, where you can be screened properly and a course of action set up. Call local hospital and get referrals. Plenty of resources today.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate to this. I am a single mom of two kiddos and work FT. Inpatient was just not an option for me at all. Heck, AA isn't an option really, either. I have no free time whatsoever, nor someone to watch my kids that often.

I quit cold turkey with no medical help or medications (cannot recommend this for obvious reasons), but thankfully didn't experience too much in terms of withdrawals besides anxiety, sleeplessness and irritability for a few days.

What's been helping me is this forum, meditation, lots of vitamins (especially B complex, C and St. John's Wort), tons of water and healthy food, exercise (biking and yoga), and therapy. What has also helped tremendously is reading memoirs of recovering alcoholics. It reminds me just HOW BAD it can get if I don't stay sober, and what I do NOT want for myself. This is something I haven't done in previous attempts, and it is helping so much.

Go see a doctor and get medical advice. Inpatient is not necessary for everyone. You CAN do this if you really want it.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd also suggest asking your doctor for help in getting safely thru the withdrawal. Then make a plan to stay sober. It can be done if you want it badly enough.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know its very hard to face, but from my own experience I would urge you to see a doctor. I tried to taper and ended up with a racing heart and shortness of breath. In the end I went to the ER. It did settle down over the course of a few hours without meds so anxiety was probably playing a part. I put my body through major stress and I believe (right or wrong) that it has led to a protracted physical recovery. If you can get some meds for an out patient detox it might make it more bearable. I think this is especially true if you have any pre existing health issues and are older.
Always better to talk to a doctor if you are worried.....
Just my opinion!
Old 08-10-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a great group of people. Thank you for your input. Time to set a plan and make it happen...
Old 08-10-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah some great advice here 60 - see your DR and see what they suggest.

I didn't think I could afford time to stop either, but turns out I couldn't afford not to.

D
Old 08-10-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Talk with your doctor and maybe make a plan so that you can totally relax over the labor day weekend.......