Notices

The importance of eating and hydration

Old 08-10-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sweenzo

The importance of eating and hydration

I forgot on the first day how important eating properly and drinking water was to ease the effects of withdrawal. I had not eaten properly in 4 days and on day 1 only managed a cup of soup. I spent most of last night with the horrible feeling of needing to vomit every 10 minutes but nothing was in my system. I played football for 1 hour in the evening which was a lot harder than normal because of this. I have started the morning off with a cup of tea and a slice of toast. Currently making my way through a bunch of grapes and regularly taking small sips of water. I will make sure to have something healthy for lunch and eat lots of fruit in between before ensuring I get a proper dinner. I assume most folks on here will see these things as obvious but If I made sure I ate and drank properly yesterday I might have had a better sleep, woke up feeling fresher etc etc. If anybody else is like me and can go days when consuming alcohol and not eat don't forget to make sure you make yourself eat and hydrate properly to get off to a good start. I forgot this so perhaps this can be a reminder to someone else like me.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree with you 100%, even when I was actively drinking I made sure food was a priority. Of course the best option is not to get ourselves into a bad situation to begin with. Having to nurse ourselves back to health is a lot of work and really inconvenient in the grand scheme of things.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Indeed...
During Detox period and beyond .. nutrition is so important!
Old 08-10-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes. We put our bodies through a LOT. I did not eat anything for the last month of my drinking and it was hard to stomach food at first.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

HALTS....
If one of the following- fix it or get help
Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired or Thirsty
Sad or stressed.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember on one of my "detoxes" I threw up all day and couldn't even keep down water. I ended up in the ER via BKP. I would have never called BKP unless it was a last resort. I was so severely dehydrated and had to have IV's. Nutrition, vitamins and water is crucial. My entire body cramped up with a "Charlie horse". I couldn't uncurl my hands or legs and lost all function. I couldn't even speak properly because my entire face became numb. Alcohol is nothing to mess around with. I was 24 hours past my last drink, so their wasn't alcohol in my system. It was so scary!!
Old 08-10-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was totally like that ten days ago. I didn't want to eat for two days after my relapse. However, if you put the booze down and get some exercise and sleep, your body's appetite will return to normal. When are you planning to play football next?
Old 08-10-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with all of the above . I am a keen cook and just made us colliflower ,new potatoes ,carrots and a sucluent piece of gammon . Im afraid I made an unhealthy cheese sauce too .
On my 1st couple of days following a bad binge I could hardly eat anything then started craving salty carbs but not sugar .
My pgysiotherapist tells me cramps can be a sign of dehydration but I struggle to keep up the water consumption .
Old 08-10-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
I agree with all of the above . I am a keen cook and just made us colliflower ,new potatoes ,carrots and a sucluent piece of gammon . Im afraid I made an unhealthy cheese sauce too .
On my 1st couple of days following a bad binge I could hardly eat anything then started craving salty carbs but not sugar .
My pgysiotherapist tells me cramps can be a sign of dehydration but I struggle to keep up the water consumption .
I've heard of people dying from dehydration. Nothing to mess around with!! The unhealthy cheese sauce I can live with! Nutrition is so important! I always craved salty stuff too.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Protein is my friend!

Thank you for the reminder!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

not exactly health food, but if nothing else can tempt you o stay down, some ice cream will at least keep sugars up.

When not eating much its fine to go for higher calorific food, and yes to the protein as well. But that first week can be hard for many on the stomach.

Hydration is definitely vital. You need to replace fluid from the sweats, and also cleanse and hydrate for vital organs to function. The glycose drinks that can be bought from pharmacists for convalescents could be a good option.

BB
Old 08-10-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ice cream, sports drinks, chocolate, and fruit are my weaknesses right now.

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
not exactly health food, but if nothing else can tempt you o stay down, some ice cream will at least keep sugars up.

When not eating much its fine to go for higher calorific food, and yes to the protein as well. But that first week can be hard for many on the stomach.

Hydration is definitely vital. You need to replace fluid from the sweats, and also cleanse and hydrate for vital organs to function. The glycose drinks that can be bought from pharmacists for convalescents could be a good option.

BB
Old 08-10-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sweenzo

Originally Posted by Learninganew View Post
I was totally like that ten days ago. I didn't want to eat for two days after my relapse. However, if you put the booze down and get some exercise and sleep, your body's appetite will return to normal. When are you planning to play football next?
Next Wednesday night before I get another game. I'm going to get one or two runs in over the weekend, about 4 miles or so hopefully.

I've foolishly not taken my own advice and skipped dinner, I am struggling with the feeling of vomiting.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
sweenzo

[QUOTE=Berrybean;6567633]not exactly health food, but if nothing else can tempt you o stay down, some ice cream will at least keep sugars up.

BB[/QUOTE

Good shout, a small scoop of ice-cream coming up.