Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

If cravings have disappeared, has a higher power lifted them away?

Notices

If cravings have disappeared, has a higher power lifted them away?

Old 08-10-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
. "Never talk down to an alcoholic from any moral or spiritual hilltop..." BB, pg. 95.
and thats where we can agree to disagree,eh?
because i dont see it as that.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

If a Higher Power has nothing to do with it, whatever that Higher Power may be, I'm not sure why it'd be a central point in the AA program.

In regards to what az said; I'd rather be "addicted" to my Higher Power than the bottle. Just saying.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My mind made me obsess about alcohol.

My body made me crave more, once it was in my body.

Other words for the mind are: ego; AV; lower power; lower self; Satan; broken part of us.

There is no way in my AA 12-step experience now that I'm on the other side of it, would I ever think that God made me obsess or crave alcohol. God saved me from that hopeless state of mind and body.

I am not religious.

But my experience working the steps with the big book was that.

Experience is one thing.

Opinions are quite another.

It's not possible to do the 12 steps starting as an atheist, agnostic, or whatever you believe and come out to the other side without some sort of belief in a higher power, whatever you chose to call it.

Also, it is a fact that most people do not have the "white light experience". They have the "educational variety" that is discussed in Appendix II, Spiritual Experience, pages 567-568.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets not forget this is Newcomers forum

Please Read! The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
Dee
SR
Old 08-10-2017, 11:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I didn't mean to inflame a situation or cause a debate over religion. Obviously, nobody will change their mind because a different point of view was posted on a forum thread. If it makes sense, I don't believe in God or Satan, so I certainly don't blame God or Satan for any evil doings. If religion is what it takes to do good things, then that is a good thing.

All of that aside, I believe we make our own choices, good or bad. And in order to hold ourselves accountable, we need to own those decisions, good or bad. And that means that ultimately if we have the will power to abstain from drinking, we deserve the credit for doing so, and on that same token should we fall off the wagon, we need to own that too.