Notices

Drank every day this summer. On day 2 sober.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Welcome DH. You know, the darkest hour is just befor dawn. Your new sober dawn beckons.
BB
That's why I chose the name Thank you!
Old 08-08-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard DarkestHour

D
Old 08-08-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

DH, welcome. So glad you are here. Posting here was the turning point for me, and it can be for you too. This is a wonderfully supportive place.

I tried to moderate or quit for several years. Never worked. Now, after "choosing" to be sober and have a better, healthier, real life, rather than just "giving up" alcohol, I feel like I've turned a corner. You can do the same.

Your post caught my eye, because after all that time of "trying" before, I have now had a summer of NOT drinking, at all. More than 75 days alcohol free. After a winter and spring (and plenty of time before that) of daily drinking.

You can come back in a few months and say the same to someone new here. That you have had months of new, better life.

Just commit, as you said, to today, and focus on how good you feel after a night of no drinking. Then repeat. You can do it.

It's almost dawn.

We are here to help.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find lots of support on here. Like you, I tried moderating, and it never worked. I have been able to stay sober with the help of this site as a big part of my recovery plan.

Glad you joined the August class, pop in on the 24 hour thread as well, it is a great place to commit to 24 hours of sobriety, and get lots of support.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you tealily and Delilah! On day 3. Feeling better than the previous two days. Just committing to today. I had a night full of crazy dreams, including ones about drinking. I'm glad to wake up sober and without a hangover and shame.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by DarkestHour View Post
Thank you tealily and Delilah! On day 3. Feeling better than the previous two days. Just committing to today. I had a night full of crazy dreams, including ones about drinking. I'm glad to wake up sober and without a hangover and shame.
Yay! Waking up sober is a GOOD thing!
Old 08-09-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

MidnightRider, you speak the truth!
Old 08-09-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-09-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkestHour View Post
Day 3 is great! Each day gets better. I think more dreaming is pretty common. I hadn't realized how poor my sleep was while drinking heavily. It takes a while for it to get back to a normal rhythm, but those un-hungover mornings are amazing right from the start, aren't they?

Hang in there! Keep it going! We are here for you.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
Day 3 is great! Each day gets better. I think more dreaming is pretty common. I hadn't realized how poor my sleep was while drinking heavily. It takes a while for it to get back to a normal rhythm, but those un-hungover mornings are amazing right from the start, aren't they?

Hang in there! Keep it going! We are here for you.

Thank you, tealily! Another un-hungover morning today. I had a headache, but nothing that compares to headaches after drinking! (It's already gone). Feeling jittery today but hopeful. Have a great day, everyone
Old 08-10-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome DH! I think you are on day 4 now, so well done!

It does get easier, once you manage to survive the first week or so. Many of us swear by taking it one day at a time, especially during the early stages.

Just imagine how liberating it is going to be, breaking that horrible, self destructive chain of daily drinking that you referred to in you opening post.

Remember always that you are never alone. All of us here want exactly the same thing and are here to support and encourage one another. To some of us this site and, of course, a sobriety plan are tools good enough to get the job done.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Welcome DH! I think you are on day 4 now, so well done!

It does get easier, once you manage to survive the first week or so. Many of us swear by taking it one day at a time, especially during the early stages.

Just imagine how liberating it is going to be, breaking that horrible, self destructive chain of daily drinking that you referred to in you opening post.

Remember always that you are never alone. All of us here want exactly the same thing and are here to support and encourage one another. To some of us this site and, of course, a sobriety plan are tools good enough to get the job done.
Thank you, CaptainHaddock. I believe you when you say it does get better. Drinking every day is no way to live. Today was the first day in a while I was able to do some writing on a novel I'm trying to finish. Just didn't have it in me to write when my mind was in a drunken daze. I'm going to enjoy dinner and a movie with my wife tonight for our anniversary. No alcohol involved. My plan is coming together day by day, and reading the posts of others going through a similar struggle is both inspiring and enlightening. Thank you for your words or support and encouragement.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Happy dawn DarkestHour and welcome to SR! Great job on 4 days. Happy Anniversary to you and your wife! You should get sober for yourself, but it is just fine that you are also giving your wife the greatest anniversary gift you could ever give! Although personal experience suggests that you should still probably drag your butt out and buy something for her too.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberandhonest View Post
Happy dawn DarkestHour and welcome to SR! Great job on 4 days. Happy Anniversary to you and your wife! You should get sober for yourself, but it is just fine that you are also giving your wife the greatest anniversary gift you could ever give! Although personal experience suggests that you should still probably drag your butt out and buy something for her too.
This made me laugh out loud, soberandhonest! Personal experience tells me the same and has motivated me to take my butt to the mall for a gift or two