Notices

Recovered Alcoholic friend and I had a disagreement

Old 08-08-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Like everyone said, its a personal choice. I will still wear perfume etc, ill also use wine vinegars in cooking & like u i wont use wine to cook with as im not buying wine ir having it in my house
Old 08-08-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So I can't ever have fondue again? 😱
I can skip the tiramisł...and heck the salad dressing (oil and lemon juice works just fine!) but do not mess with my melty, gooey, delicious cheese! 😉
Jules
Old 08-08-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think the point is that everyone decides for themselves where they draw the line. If vinegar was taking up a bunch of headspace for you when you used it, you shouldn't use it. Not everyone is in the same place.

Just to prove it to you - I drink NA beer! I listen to a podcast hosted by two guys, each with about 20 years sobriety - one that does AA, one that doesn't and they both drink NA beer. It's never been a trigger to them and it's not "addict behavior" for them. However, if it was to awaken the beast in them, they wouldn't do it.

Everyone should just worry about their own selves.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Is your main problem the vinegar or the disagreement with your recovery friend?

If its the latter, perhaps reach out sooner rather than later. Its a crazy thing to fall out over, and even if they were the one to stomp off its probably worth some peace of mind to smooth things over.

I know that's the kind of thing that can really rattle me personally.

I'd rather be happy and with my friend than right and without them. Maybe you can assure them that you would respect their choice not to eat anything with it in and would never give them any food with it in, even if you fel safe with it yourself.

Friendship and fellowship is pretty precious I reckon.

BB
Old 08-08-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

while i think it is fine for your friend to draw strict boundaries around HIMSELF regarding alcohol, he crossed the line by attacking you and the quality of your sobriety - especially over........vinegar. to each his own, if he is anti-vinegar FINE, but he need not pound that sign in your lawn.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, thanks for all your comments. I pretty much decided not to sweat it, I guess I was just really taken aback.

Ah well, I texted him saying this is a silly thing to fall out over and let's just put it behind us, no response, the ball is in his court now. Nothing more I can do about it, no point getting stressed.

Oh I had my chilli, used the vinegar, and it was tasty. I thought it was farfetched I dunno, just got paranoid that I was alone on this.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Is your main problem the vinegar or the disagreement with your recovery friend?

BB
Oh definitely the disagreement , but I wasn't going to put it back out on moral principle, I can do what I like.

The vinegar doesn't trouble me, it's not as though I am deathly allergic and a microscopic drop will kill me. Yeah, I think as a general rule that if its a small enough amount that there would be no issue feeding it to a child, then it doesn't concern me.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
~sb

orange juice and colas have trace amounts of alcohol, among Many other foods.....
Old 08-08-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

As usual I have a little different take on this. While I don't know the person and I don't want to judge someone but it kind of sounds to me like this person is more interested in being right about something. They have a belief in how to do this "sobriety" thing and since you didn't listen they got upset because they feel the need to be right. A little bit of narcissism maybe. I could be wrong but regardless, they are the ones suffering. You didn't do anything wrong.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KES06 View Post
If I thought like your friend, I haven't been sober these last 6 months. Geeze! Agree with others that I don't cook with wine. But I think probably everything has trace amounts of some kind of alcohol. I live on balsamic vinegar and oil on salads as it's healthier than bottled stuff. Just go with your gut. Everybody's journey is different. As long as you are not chugging bottles of balsamic and bbq sauce, I'm sure you're fine.
I think if he wishes to continue to argue I may simply state that as an Italian I need oil and balsamic vinegar or I will wither and die. That and pizza.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

If you're anything like me, I'm more likely to lose sleep over something I might have done / said / not said than something someone else did.

You have cleared your side of the road and hopefully smoothed the way for them to act graciously. Like you say, I would just put it out of your mind and not sweat it for now.

Glad you chilli was a success.

BB
Old 08-09-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
if ya grabbed the bottle and downed it to get drunk, i would think so.
and id think you were SERIOUSLY screwed up if ya did that!LOLOLOLO

its ok to agree to disagree woth people, And.
its also ok to not engage with them if they want to start acting high and mighty.

i mentioned before a meeting i did some baking that day. and got the blahblahblah from someone about alcohol in the vanilla extract andblahblahblah.
i just looked at his cigarette.
then his coffee
then his cigarette
then his coffee.
This response compelled me to register just to post. Nearly all of my friends in recovery have turned to chain smoking and diet sodas (among other things) to replace the alcohol.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome azwakeupcall

D