Notices

Deciding on going to a Rehab for my withdraw

Old 08-07-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Deciding on going to a Rehab for my withdraw

Hi All. 1st post. I'm 51 & a binge drinker. Can go 2-3 weeks & not have a drink (Vodka) Then I hit it for a few days. The rehab is simply killing me. I detox myself & this time I don't think I should.

I'm a little over 24 hours & the worst is behind me. I'm usually fine by the third day. I have insurance, but I don't enjoy the stay. I've been once before & they put me on Lithium. I was there for only three days. But it took me over 10 days to feel right again. Turned me into a complete zombie.

I called a place to see if anyone can take me. Waiting for a response. I went 42 days before I picked up some booze on a Friday. I'm an idiot. I don't even enjoy it anymore, it like drinking water. You need, so you do it. I really thought this time was it. I'm lucky I have a loving wife of 25 years. She just wants mt to stop.

You all have heard this before. I'm just another drunk that hides it extremely well from others now (except my wife) I'm still waiting for a callback.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, wishing you all the best and good luck, dont put yourself down, at least your trying to get sober
Old 08-07-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know you understand how frustrated you can get with yourself after buying a bottle. I'll have a more positive out take in a few more days. Detox for me in 72 hours. Looks like no places tonight for me. I've been trying for 18 months. I need to find a way through this madness. I'm glad I found this website. Some great insight.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's great, lots of support here and some great people who understand
Old 08-07-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So glad you've posted and are seeking help. I hope it comes through soon for you. This is a great group.. glad to have you with us!
Old 08-07-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

Sending you love and support. We've all been there. Best wishes to you.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

I hope you get the help you need.
You are lucky to have a loving wife to help you.
Perhaps this is the Time to stop for good!
For both of you.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Alock - regardless of whether you go to detox or not, I hope you'll use the community here. You'll find great support.

It may be just what you need to turn sporadic sobriety into permanent recovery
Old 08-07-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Looks like I'm going at it on my own. My wife is taking tomorrow off from work to keep tabs on me. It's the night time (sleeping) that worries me on most. At of my many detox's this one is on the milder side. You would think that remembering how terrible you feel from withdrawing, that would be enough to make you stop. Thank you everyone for reaching out. Great website!
Old 08-07-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

did you line up rehab?
Old 08-07-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No. I couldn't find a place except for one which is complete rat hole. Maybe I'm playing the "snob card" but I was there for 3 days & had no idea is basically a MassHealth facility. When I was there 6 months about it took them over 5 hours to give me something. Totally an unprofessional surrounding. People that don't have insurance (state pays)I had to sleep with my wallet in my pants pockets. I'll stick it out myself. My last drink was Yesterday (Sunday) @ 3:30PM. By tomorrow I should be on the mend. Just need t get through tonight. Plus they only dish out Lithium & I can't take that stuff.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, I hope things go along well for you. I am sorry you are suffering, but it is part of it, as you- and I- and everyone here knows.
Have you considered staying for the rehab part? Instead of just stopping in for 3 days to detox, what about finding a facility that suits your needs and going for the full 30 day rehab stay?
I am not sure where you are located, but you could also travel nearby to find something. I went to a state-funded rehab and it was incredible. They also loaded me up on meds which I didn't care for, but a team of doctors came by my room every morning to check on me and I did have the option of adjusting the medications based on my feelings.

Something to think about. Just simply getting the alcohol out of your system is a great start, but the full rehab experience could really put you on the path to recovery.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In the UK most rehabs facilities are 12-step recovery, which is also completely free and on our own doorsteps in the form of AA.

If you can go 2 - 3 weeks without feeling physical effects of withdrawal then Im presuming that you dont need a supervised detox for physical withdrawal danger. More the whole mental and emotional support. The recovery work.

Why not see if you can find enough meetings near you that you can commit to a 90 in 90 recovery scedule so you get a good support base established?
AA is only a google search away. You could be in a meeting later today.

BB