Notices

Grey Goose Gift

Old 08-07-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CreativeThinker View Post
I remember years ago, during one of my attempts to get sober, I found a pint of vodka that had been hidden behind the couch. Like you, I had that thought of...omg, no one will know...just have one drink. Then I walked away from it, grateful that I didn't cave. Instead of throwing it out, I left it behind the couch. Don't ask my why I left it there, most likely because deep down inside, I knew I would need it one day. And that I did! A few weeks later, after a fight with my DH, I went back to the hidden bottle and drank the whole thing. Poof! My 3 months of sobriety was gone.
Moral of that story: If you should find or be gifted a bottle of booze, immediately take it out back and shoot it. With a shotGUN, not a shotGLASS.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
under new management

Recovery happens in those moments between, "I could..." and "nope, not happening".

Someone on SR wrote this a bit more elegantly than I just did but it is so true. The moments in between these two thoughts are really where we make a stand for our sobriety. Where we walk the walk.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CreativeThinker View Post
I remember years ago, during one of my attempts to get sober, I found a pint of vodka that had been hidden behind the couch. Like you, I had that thought of...omg, no one will know...just have one drink. Then I walked away from it, grateful that I didn't cave. Instead of throwing it out, I left it behind the couch. Don't ask my why I left it there, most likely because deep down inside, I knew I would need it one day. And that I did! A few weeks later, after a fight with my DH, I went back to the hidden bottle and drank the whole thing. Poof! My 3 months of sobriety was gone.
I had a similar experience, I was cleaning out one of my work trucks and found half a bottle of rum under the backseat. Don't know how long it had been there, but was totally illegal! Anyway it was mine, and its what I drank. But at that point I was so disgusted at what I had allowed booze to do to me, I just walked it over to the trash can and tossed it.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I made it to my Jazzercise (aerobics) class this morning before starting my work day. I had a great epiphany in class... All the other ladies were happy and the music was loud and I was thinking what if... What if I did open that Vodka... I certainly wouldn't be in an aerobics class early the next morning. I'd likely be so sick and ill and not able to get out of the bed... Just because I am over a month clean and wow it would really affect me... And the guilt and depression that would follow... Thank God I made the right choice and I can say I'm now on day 33 not Day 1!!!! The dogs have been on 2 walks we have run work errands... going to make a healthy dinner and go to bed with a clean conscience. Priceless..