Notices

How to know if its safe to quit on your own?

Old 08-06-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to know if its safe to quit on your own?

Just wondering, how do you know if its safe to quit on your own without any medical help? I don't really get physical withdrawal symptoms, well maybe some minor ones but at the same time I dont want to die and i dont want to go the the facility that the doctor wanted me to go to a while back. also i saw this acary documentry on youtube where this guy drinks alcohol like its medicine. He eventually got help and went to rehab but died 17 days later
Old 08-06-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No one can answer that, everyone is different, a visit to the doctors would be a good idea good luck
Old 08-06-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I would bite the bullet and go to that facility ozm8ey. Not only will it be safer but there would be less chance of a relapse.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

glad ya made it back ozm8ey.
hope ya get to decide to go to that facility
Old 08-06-2017, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Since my last detox I'm firmly in the 'see a Dr anyway' camp - best be safe than sorry.

You can always ring this number if you're unsure Ozm8ey

Call 1300 60 60 24

NURSE-ON-CALL puts you directly in touch with a registered nurse for caring, professional health advice around the clock.
Call from anywhere in Victoria for free health advice, 24 hours a day.

https://www2.health.vic.gov.au/prima.../nurse-on-call

D
Old 08-06-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power

It's always best to be safe when withdrawing from alcohol. The withdrawals can quite literally kill you depending on your level of drinking and your body's personal reaction to stopping. Going to the facility will not only ensure that you come off the alcohol as safely as possible, but also make the transition more bearable and guide you to resources that will help you stay sober for the long term.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ozm8ey View Post
i saw this acary documentry on youtube where this guy drinks alcohol like its medicine. He eventually got help and went to rehab but died 17 days later
I also saw that. The young man had mistreated his body and mind for a long time. Even though he had stopped drinking it was too late for him -- his organs shut down.

Best always to be safe when sobering up.

Best wishes,
Bob
Old 08-06-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with others that seeking professional help is the safe way to do it. You say you dont' want to and I understand that. No one "wants" to. But we have to take care of ourselves. As far as dying 17 days after entering rehab, some things are not in our control. I believe there is a higher power that dictates those things. I could die while typing this out, but I don't worry about it.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well its like day 2 and not dead yet
Old 08-09-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

idk what just happened guys but I felt this slight pain to my hip then all of a sudden I had a full blown panic attack. My heart started to race and felt fainty. It was like I was in survival mode and i had to go for a walk because i couldn't sit still. I think the pain was normal but for some reason it made me panic, it was a horrible feeling the panic attack that is
Old 08-10-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hope you are doing ok?
Old 08-10-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Talking to a doctor can't hurt. Be honest with them.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well saw my Doctor tonight and told him i drink randomly and how much i drink when i do drink and that i take a day off from drinking here and there. He doesn't seem to think its dangerous for me to quit and said he want me to cut down to 2 standard drinks a day and take a day without drinking every 2 days and stay at that rate for a while then cut down until i reach 0 beers a day.

He also said I shouldn't be drinking while taking anti depressants.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well saw my Doctor tonight and told him i drink randomly and how much i drink when i do drink and that i take a day off from drinking here and there. He doesn't seem to think its dangerous for me to quit and said he want me to cut down to 2 standard drinks a day and take a day without drinking every 2 days and stay at that rate for a while then cut down until i reach 0 beers a day.

Perfect -- good advice.
Get sober and enjoy your sober life.
For if alcoholic? drinking offers us nothing good.
Good luck,
M-Bob
Old 11-15-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm glad you saw your doctor ozm8ey, but you've seen one several times over the past year and basically gotten the same advice - you need to quit drinking. You've also gotten the same advice from lots of people here on SR.

What do you plan to do with the information now that you have it?

I'm also curious if your doctor gave you a plan for the antidpressants you are taking - if he told you not to drink when taking them, but also told you to keep drinking/tapering.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

ok ive been drinking 2 beers a night and had one day without. Seems ok i dont seem to get withdraw symptoms. Seems its ok to drink just the 2 standard drinks but if you have anymore than that you'll most likely need more and more. Doctor didn't tell me how long to stay at the 2 standard drinks rate for before I can go down to 0-1. My sleep is pretty good too.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

ok ive been drinking 2 beers a night and had one day without. Seems ok i dont seem to get withdraw symptoms. Seems its ok to drink just the 2 standard drinks but if you have anymore than that you'll most likely need more and more. Doctor didn't tell me how long to stay at the 2 standard drinks rate for before I can go down to 0-1. My sleep is pretty good too.
If you're only at 2, sounds like it's a safe time to quit for good
Old 11-20-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

sounds pretty safe to stop if your down at that level.
I agreed with everyone the docs the guy to see when you want to give up.

i didnt like going into detox, the first time was miserable but after
that i got how it worked. It can be rough but it can save you life.

Glad you did it yourself mate
Old 11-20-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear things are going well. Since your doctor is the one who prescribed the plan, you should really ask him when you can make the change. We can't give medical advice here and you are seeing s doctor about it. You might be able to even just call the office and speak with a nurse who could relay the message.

Based on some of the horrific health issues you've had with your drinking/quitting in other threads, it would be better to be safe than sorry, don't you think?
Old 11-20-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Can anyone share the link to that YouTube documentary?