SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   At work tonight.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/413926-work-tonight.html)

grayghost1965 08-06-2017 12:21 AM

At work tonight....

.....and it's a full moon. It's busier than normal, of course (currently it's 0220 ET Sunday morning). The police/fire/EMS scanner is noisier than usual, which means that our Emergency Department has more to look forward to.

Something that has been a big help to me in maintaining has been, oddly enough, the ODs/drunks I see on a nightly basis. We lose some, some get sent to BHU or other rehab, and some just walk out after they have slept it off.

At times I have to fight resentment towards them - some are asses even when clean/sober, but many aren't, and I try to remember that. Granted, it's hard when you're wrestling the unruly ones who are clawing, kicking, biting and spitting, to have much compassion, but I know that harboring resentment will ultimately lead me down a path I want to avoid.

Pretty much wherever you live, you are aware of the opioid epidemic that has spun way out of control. The sad fact is, at least in our experience here, is that most of our ODs express no desire to quit or even acknowledge the wreckage that has become their life.

This inspires me to keep on my path - I was never much of a drug user; some mild experimenting in my early 20s, but some of the stuff I've seen, I wish I could show to addicts off the street. Once you have seen a once - beautiful woman ravaged by krokodil, it changes you. It is very hard to feel empathy or compassion for someone who has more often than not, endangered others for the sake of their own addiction.

Sorry for the wordiness - thanks for reading.

Jules714 08-06-2017 05:29 AM

Thank you for your service!
I can't relate really to the drugs...my DOC is alcohol, but I see a lot of heroin addicts in the rooms of AA. It's an insidious drug. I've lost two close friends to overdose since April. 19 & 25 years old. It's terrible.
I remember watching s documentary on Kroc. That is sickening to see. Pure evil.
Where I live they are trying to pass something that says that the EMT will come out for your first two ODs, and will not come for the 3rd. They can't keep up with the demand. Sad state of affairs.
I'm sure the local EMTs are relieved to not see me anymore. The last time I called them I didn't even remember that I called. I lost days. BAC of .38 will do that.
Never want to go back there again.
Jules

grayghost1965 08-06-2017 05:44 AM

Glad you're still with us Jules....during my worst days I'm sure I was in the .3 and better range; thankfully God kept me out of hospitals and off the highways and best of all, off a morgue cart. Addiction is not a thing to be warm and fuzzy about, IMHO. There needs to be respect, but I feel like a "scared straight" program for addicts might very well help.

saoutchik 08-06-2017 10:35 AM

grayghost, you guys do a wonderful job in diffucult circumstances, thank you.

Jules714 08-06-2017 03:01 PM

Thanks Gray!
I'm really grateful to still be here!
Not to mention fortunate.
J