Notices

30 Days

Old 08-05-2017, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

30 Days

Hi everyone,

Been a while since I posted, and since my last several "I'm back" posts have been basically been me coming crawling back for help getting and staying sober, I am pleased to stop in with some good news this time.

Today marks thirty days since my last drink, and what a thirty days it has been. It actually took some rather dire circumstances for me to stop drinking, but here I am.

As some of you may recall, I suffer from ulcerative colitis, which is a chronic autoimmune inflammatory condition affecting the lining of the large intestine. I have had this disease for 11 years. Back in June, during a trip to Scotland (which was beautiful), I started noticing the symptoms of a colitis flare-up within a few hours of getting of the plane. I somehow made it through a week over there without my condition getting out of control and without letting it ruin what was an experience I will cherish forever.

So I grinded through the week, having a drink or two every time we went out to dinner (which was every night), but managing to limit it to that, not that any amount of alcohol is acceptable for an alcoholic. My condition remained under control, and it ended up being a nice trip overall.

But then I returned home, and it was back to drinking myself into a stupor every night. I did this despite my condition deteriorating. I refused to call the doctor and told myself that eventually things would just get better, even though deep down I knew this was not the case. I kept drinking, and my condition got worse and worse to the point where I could no longer go to work or even leave the house.

This was by far the scariest, most alarming, most desperate period of my alcoholism. I was drinking despite the fact I knew it was destroying my already deteriorating health. I was rapidly losing weight, losing blood internally, and felt as if the life was steadily draining from my body. If ever there was a prime example of insanity, this was it. Finally I said enough is enough. For the first time since my drinking problems started seven years ago, I felt that this was a matter of life and death. I stopped drinking and called the doctor.

Fast forward to today. Thirty days of sobriety under my belt, my colitis symptoms have almost completely subsided, and I am feeling more motivated than I have in years to move forward in life sober and happy.

The two biggest things I credit with my success thus far (besides the imperative of averting a health catastrophe) have been the support of my family, friends, doctors and therapist, and daily meditation practice. I started out meditating just 3 minutes a day and am now up to 10 minutes a day. This small daily investment of my time in just a month has given me significantly better awareness of my thought patterns and thus better control of my impulses. The urge to drink still creeps up, but I observe the feeling, let my thoughts settle, and that's that.

So this is where I'm at. I can't say I am going to be a daily presence on here but I wanted to check in and share this good news since SR has been such an unconditionally supportive place for me over the last few years. I do plan to check in periodically though as I plan to keep the milestones piling up!

I'll be around.

Mike
Old 08-05-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Great post. Congrats on 30 days.
Sounds like you are reaping the benefits of meditation and support.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
Hi everyone,

Been a while since I posted, and since my last several "I'm back" posts have been basically been me coming crawling back for help getting and staying sober, I am pleased to stop in with some good news this time.

Today marks thirty days since my last drink, and what a thirty days it has been. It actually took some rather dire circumstances for me to stop drinking, but here I am.

As some of you may recall, I suffer from ulcerative colitis, which is a chronic autoimmune inflammatory condition affecting the lining of the large intestine. I have had this disease for 11 years. Back in June, during a trip to Scotland (which was beautiful), I started noticing the symptoms of a colitis flare-up within a few hours of getting of the plane. I somehow made it through a week over there without my condition getting out of control and without letting it ruin what was an experience I will cherish forever.

So I grinded through the week, having a drink or two every time we went out to dinner (which was every night), but managing to limit it to that, not that any amount of alcohol is acceptable for an alcoholic. My condition remained under control, and it ended up being a nice trip overall.

But then I returned home, and it was back to drinking myself into a stupor every night. I did this despite my condition deteriorating. I refused to call the doctor and told myself that eventually things would just get better, even though deep down I knew this was not the case. I kept drinking, and my condition got worse and worse to the point where I could no longer go to work or even leave the house.

This was by far the scariest, most alarming, most desperate period of my alcoholism. I was drinking despite the fact I knew it was destroying my already deteriorating health. I was rapidly losing weight, losing blood internally, and felt as if the life was steadily draining from my body. If ever there was a prime example of insanity, this was it. Finally I said enough is enough. For the first time since my drinking problems started seven years ago, I felt that this was a matter of life and death. I stopped drinking and called the doctor.

Fast forward to today. Thirty days of sobriety under my belt, my colitis symptoms have almost completely subsided, and I am feeling more motivated than I have in years to move forward in life sober and happy.

The two biggest things I credit with my success thus far (besides the imperative of averting a health catastrophe) have been the support of my family, friends, doctors and therapist, and daily meditation practice. I started out meditating just 3 minutes a day and am now up to 10 minutes a day. This small daily investment of my time in just a month has given me significantly better awareness of my thought patterns and thus better control of my impulses. The urge to drink still creeps up, but I observe the feeling, let my thoughts settle, and that's that.

So this is where I'm at. I can't say I am going to be a daily presence on here but I wanted to check in and share this good news since SR has been such an unconditionally supportive place for me over the last few years. I do plan to check in periodically though as I plan to keep the milestones piling up!

I'll be around.

Mike
Yaaayyy!! Congrats on day 30. Fantabulous!

Old 08-05-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job on 30 days Mike 👍👍👍

I hope you're feeling better health wise now. I have also been exploring meditation, and practicing breathing exercises. I plan to go to a yoga classes tomorrow. I have been doing a lot of reading around the concept of the 7 Chakras and I like that it focuses on our physical, emotional and psychological wellbeing.

Wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 08-05-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fantastic mns!! Sounds like things got a little sketchy there. So glad you got sober!
Old 08-05-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

good going, mns!
Old 08-05-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job, mns1!

Congratulations on 30 days.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear from you Mike - congrats on 30 and the general improvements - don't be a stranger ok?

D
Old 08-06-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome!
Old 08-06-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you. A wake up call.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Nova - Thanks, I am feeling much better! And I think your reading material is on point. I am really starting to realize the importance of balance between our physical, intellectual, and emotional health in not only staying sober but just healthy and happy in general. Keep up the awesome work!

Dee - I will try not to be a stranger! I am trying to really start listening to my body and mind and the signals they are sending me if that makes any sense. Right now keeping up with my daily meditation and just getting the rest I need seems to be just right. But the need for some SR came calling around my 30 day mark. This is the first time I've reached that milestone in a long time and I just had to share it! I will check in as often as I feel the need to!

Phoenix - A total wakeup call for sure. It was a nightmare. I knew what I was doing was utterly insane and leading me down a path to certain catastrophe, but I did it anyway. It was so horrible. I am just so thankful I found the strength to stop and start recovering.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 08-06-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Way to go on the 30 days. Hey, whatever keeps you sober, if it works, keep doing it eah? I'm glad your health symptoms have improved. That would be scary.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days, Mike! That's an amazing accomplishment:-)