Notices

Cravings still coming, but weaker

Old 08-03-2017, 11:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings still coming, but weaker

I just wanted to add a little hope for those in the first days, and yes, gather some accountability and support for myself.
I have explained my work before, it is work with tourists and as a villa manager to a few important villas where the owner come mostly in the summer. 90% of my work falls in the months of June, July, August, and 95% of that 90% falls in the last week of July/August. I am slammed with work, so busy. People are demanding (yes, demanding) things of me left and right. It is also 35 degrees here, I have no AC in my house or car, everyone is going a bit nuts for the heat.
Yesterday I found myself in a rare moment of downtime and the thought/desire came to me to have a glass of wine. I can't say I pushed it out of my head immediately, but I did eventually move on from it and survived the day without drinking.
The craving/desire was there, but much less strong and more easily pushed aside. it does get better with time.

I know I need to schedule in some "me" time. I am overwhelmed and not doing anything to "work" on my recovery, just ploughing through the days. Being busy is helping, but I worry about not doing any actual work.

I had started off like wildfire with the steps of AA with an online sponsor, but that has slowed to a crawl as I just have no time. At night I fall into bed completely destroyed.

I have several things I am holding onto in my mind though. One, I have a vacation to the US to see my family scheduled for the first week of September. I want to be sober and well for that. Two, on the 30th of September there is a presentation/art exhibition called "Dependence"
I was looking through the newspaper one morning over coffee in April when I stumbled across an announcement for this artistic contest. There are categories for prose, poetry, photography and painting. I decided to enter and wrote something about my alcoholism. I will find out a week before the 30th if I am selected as a finalist, but will go to the event in any case, finalist or not. I want to be able to hold my head high there, and certainly if I am a finalist, announce that I am over 6 months sober.

Keep on going everyone, we can get through this and it really does get better as time passes. Drink or use and we are back to square one.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the post Mera - I have confidence in your ability to stay sober

D
Old 08-04-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 08-04-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to see you are doing well.
Are you willing to share the piece you wrote for the contest? That's very cool that you entered!
Old 08-04-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Keep on going everyone, we can get through this and it really does get better as time passes. Drink or use and we are back to square one.
It does get better!

Being sober for me is such a confidence booster...
Holding my head high... Knowing that I am in control is huge.
I can take on more pressure from work too. Because my mind is clear....

Best of luck on the artistic contest and your poetry work......

- MR
Old 08-04-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nmd

Yes, desire to drink can pop up, but it is more fleeting as time passes

Congrats on your sober time Mera! And good luck on the contest
Old 08-04-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Thank you Mera! I always gain insight from your thoughtful and articulate posts.
Please take care of YOU during this busy time and best wishes with your contest entry.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I just wanted to add a little hope for those in the first days, and yes, gather some accountability and support for myself.
I have explained my work before, it is work with tourists and as a villa manager to a few important villas where the owner come mostly in the summer. 90% of my work falls in the months of June, July, August, and 95% of that 90% falls in the last week of July/August. I am slammed with work, so busy. People are demanding (yes, demanding) things of me left and right. It is also 35 degrees here, I have no AC in my house or car, everyone is going a bit nuts for the heat.
Yesterday I found myself in a rare moment of downtime and the thought/desire came to me to have a glass of wine. I can't say I pushed it out of my head immediately, but I did eventually move on from it and survived the day without drinking.
The craving/desire was there, but much less strong and more easily pushed aside. it does get better with time.

I know I need to schedule in some "me" time. I am overwhelmed and not doing anything to "work" on my recovery, just ploughing through the days. Being busy is helping, but I worry about not doing any actual work.

I had started off like wildfire with the steps of AA with an online sponsor, but that has slowed to a crawl as I just have no time. At night I fall into bed completely destroyed.

I have several things I am holding onto in my mind though. One, I have a vacation to the US to see my family scheduled for the first week of September. I want to be sober and well for that. Two, on the 30th of September there is a presentation/art exhibition called "Dependence"
I was looking through the newspaper one morning over coffee in April when I stumbled across an announcement for this artistic contest. There are categories for prose, poetry, photography and painting. I decided to enter and wrote something about my alcoholism. I will find out a week before the 30th if I am selected as a finalist, but will go to the event in any case, finalist or not. I want to be able to hold my head high there, and certainly if I am a finalist, announce that I am over 6 months sober.

You can do this! We are all here for you...all day, every day! Bravo on your sobriety so far!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLCamper View Post
Good to see you are doing well.
Are you willing to share the piece you wrote for the contest? That's very cool that you entered!
I'm feeling a bit shy about it to be honest. There was a character limit of 15,000 keystrokes, spaces included, so it was difficult to get in what I wanted to, given my particular style of writing (overly wordy at times!) and I think sounds a bit cut short. How about this? I will share it after the event, deal?