Notices

My dad's alcohol withdrawal

Old 08-03-2017, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My dad's alcohol withdrawal

I'm really just looking for someone to share their knowledge or experience. I don't know anyone who has gone through this and I want to know if anyone has had a similar experience. My dad is a beer drinker - at least a 12 pack a day for 40+ years. He was admitted to he hospital on a Thursday morning for pancreatitis which they believe was caused by alcohol use. He began showing moderate to severe withdrawal symptoms by Saturday. He was confused, agitated, delirious, and even violent at times. He received quite a bit of Valium to help with the withdrawal. Sunday night into Monday was the worst day and when he received a large amount of Valium. By Monday and Tuesday he was pretty sedated and the doctors said he was through the alcohol withdrawal. Wednesday he was coherent but very slow, quiet, and weak. PT began to work with him to get him moving again. He ate dinner Wednesday night but his digestive system apparently wasn't ready. He vomited, aspirated, and ended up with pneumonia. By Thursday morning (today) he was completely confused, mean, hallucinating. He took a total step back. Some said it may be the infection in his lungs because of the pneumonia, low electrolytes and potassium and then they said it may be withdrawal from the Valium because he received such a large amount. I've been trying to do my research and see if this is normal or even makes sense. I'd really like to know if anyone or their loved ones have had a similar experience.

If my dad is willing to quit drinking, I want to offer any support possible so would love some advice in this area as well. Success stories? Best NA beers? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MB60 - welcome

I've moved your post here for more rsponse

I'm sorry for whats happening with your Dad.

I can't really comment on whether it's valium withdrawal, pnuemonia or something else at play here , because I have no experience with any of these illness and I'm not a Dr.

I hope your dad will rally soon and be back to full health in a short time

I also really hope he decides he's quit drinking for good.

D
Old 08-03-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome mb! I'm pretty new at 27 days but I can attest that alcohol withdrawals are no joke. I'm glad your dad had medical assistance. I hope he's feeling better soon.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mb60,

I'm really sorry for your Dad's predicament. I went through pretty bad withdrawals, but not the pancreatitis or pneumonia issues. I did get bad enough to be hospitalized with seizures twice, so I was in a pretty bad way. I did an inpatient rehab program, then an intensive outpatient program (IOP)...and have almost a year and a half sober now. There were a few older guys (60+) in my program. If your Dad is open to such a program, I would highly encourage it. If he is willing to quit, but can't or won't seek professional help, my *opinion* is that one of the best things you can do is to, first of all, tell him you support him...and then help him to stay occupied/busy. I don't know if your Dad is retired, but if he is, he probably has a lot of free time on his hands...Boredom and ample free time are a HUGE reason that a lot of people drink, and is always a potential fallback for people who have a long history of drinking. Best of luck to you and your father.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, Mb60. Welcome
I dont have any medical advice to impart, but I can tell you that my dad had swallowing problems in his later years.
He often aspirated food into his lungs, which then led to pneumonia.
On a different note, withdrawal from long and large alcohol consumption can be tricky.
So, medically, a lot going on with him right now.
Your dad is in medical care? I guess I would trust in that for now.
Hoping all becomes well.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Mb,

Just wanted to say welcome and I am so sorry your dad is going through such a rough time. Thankfully he's in medical care and is willing to not go back to drinking. I hope the medical/pneumonia part gets sorted out quickly, and that he will accept the help that may be offered to him. Does the hospital have a social worker helping with his case and maybe treatment once he's released?

Offering my support and sympathy. I know how hard it must be to see your dad going through such an ordeal.

Best to you both!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So sorry about what your dad is going through. I don't think there is any 'normal' as such in how we respond to treatment for physical ailments. At least he is in the best place to receive the care he needs. The doctors and nurses have the knowledge and practical skills to look after him.

When he is less delirious and thinking more clearly, it might be possible to get a couple of people from your local AA to come visit him and talk to his about sobriety, their own experiences, and give him a chance to speak to them about how he sees his drinking (or hopefully not) when he comes out of hospital. They can explain anything he needs to know about meetings locally for when he comes out of hospital.

Ultimately this is going to be up to your father though. Only HE can decide whether or not he wants to continue to drink. And if he does decide to stop drinking he may still not want any help.

Al Anon meetings can offer you some support, and details of their meetings will be online as well as the local AA contact details.

You and your father are in my prayers. It is painful to watch someone we love in the grips of alcohol.

BB