Notices

sour candy and salt?

Old 08-03-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

Question sour candy and salt?

I noticed today I'm having cravings for sour candies and salt (not together lol). Did anyone else experience something similar?
Old 08-03-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Food cravings are definitely common in the early days of sobriety for certain, especially sweets. Some feel that it's due to the drop in carb intake from quitting, but as long as you don't way overdo it it's probably fine to indulge a bit.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

oh ok, that's good to know. I NEVER crave anything sweet, so it's strange
Old 08-03-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My thing: Salt and vinegar potato chips, Hershey milk chocolate bars, and dry vanilla seltzer with tart cherry juice. Bizarre maybe! But they have helped me a lot with cravings!
Old 08-03-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol is simple carb that spikes blood sugar levels, with sugar cravings in the aftermath are quite common. Nothing wrong with binging on some ice cream and candy until things level out.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

Thanks so much for the replies
Old 08-03-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

My thing was/is Peanut Butter!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
My thing was/is Peanut Butter!
Peanut Butter and jelly sandwiches
Old 08-03-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hear you Jezzi! I ate a bunch of baby pickles a little while ago....and something sugary sounds good about now
Old 08-03-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dark chocolate was and still is my craving
Old 08-03-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power

It's weird, but ever since quitting I have had a hankering for a lot more chocolate than ever before. I never considered myself to have much of a sweet tooth before....now I can go through 2 large chocolate bars in a single day! Probably not good for my health in the end, but oh well. I guess this isn't as uncommon as I thought.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
My thing: Salt and vinegar potato chips, Hershey milk chocolate bars, and dry vanilla seltzer with tart cherry juice. Bizarre maybe! But they have helped me a lot with cravings!
Salt and Vinegar chips....yum. I used to dominate a bag of those when drinking, I'm sure I still could/would
Old 08-03-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It seems pretty common, Incognition.. from reading here. I actually have been buying chocoate bars to have on hand now that I'm not drinking.. just for this purpose.

I guess it replaces the sugar we were consuming in alcohol, and I figure if it helps me not drink, it's well worth it, for the time being!

Plus I think it has natural substances that promote psychological health and well being. Pretty nice all around.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jezzi View Post
I noticed today I'm having cravings for sour candies and salt (not together lol). Did anyone else experience something similar?
OMG....my crazy cravings are Hagen Daz Dynamo Cookie dough Ice Cream ( that has somewhat subsided) BUT NOW I am loading up on Delmonte Frozen Fruit Popsicles! I am at the store daily!! I seriously cannot get enough of these!! Must be early sobriety cravings. I am heading to day 40 tomorrow!
Old 08-04-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Steak and kidney pudding ,mushy peas and mashed potato , plenty black pepper a dollop of ketchup and a little English mustard . Doors locked ,2 episodes of Game of thrones . What more does a man need .
Old 08-04-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes!
Doritos and sour patch kids. LOL
I would wake up in the middle of the night and eat twizzlers too hahaha.
Totally normal.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I NEVER ate candy while I was actively drinking! Never. I was actually a health food freak. (made no sense because i was poisoning myself with alcohol - but i thought if i ate healthy then it "balanced" it out...wtf ugh? lol) I have 28 days and I have been eating sour hard candy, sour patch gummy bears and then I will want really salty chips! I think the sugar cravings are normal, but I'm not sure about the salt. I have always loved salty things even during drinking days.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
Yes!
Doritos and sour patch kids. LOL
I would wake up in the middle of the night and eat twizzlers too hahaha.
Totally normal.
Omg. What is it about the doritos? I had the cool ranch ones this week - like i NEEDED to have them!
Old 08-04-2017, 07:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heavencanwait View Post
OMG....my crazy cravings are Hagen Daz Dynamo Cookie dough Ice Cream ( that has somewhat subsided) BUT NOW I am loading up on Delmonte Frozen Fruit Popsicles! I am at the store daily!! I seriously cannot get enough of these!! Must be early sobriety cravings. I am heading to day 40 tomorrow!
Congrats on Day 40. Day 28 here. I have not tried that haagen daz cookie dough, but I bought the ben n jerry's cookie dough which was always WAAAY too sweet for me during my drinking days. Now it tastes like heaven! I would rather sit and eat that then drink. I really hope I don't become super overweight and develop a cross addiction for food lol.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chiquen81 View Post
Congrats on Day 40. Day 28 here. I have not tried that haagen daz cookie dough, but I bought the ben n jerry's cookie dough which was always WAAAY too sweet for me during my drinking days. Now it tastes like heaven! I would rather sit and eat that then drink. I really hope I don't become super overweight and develop a cross addiction for food lol.
I have not really had a desire to eat any sweets over the years ( pretty much since my late 20's). I was quite shocked at my new found craving. I would never had picked up Hagen Daz before. Funny what sobriety does to you. I would rather have this craving over wine any day!