Notices

First Post

Old 08-03-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post

This is my first post so bear with me haha. I have been drinking heavily for about 2.5 years basically every night mostly vodka . I have come to realize I started this trend because I was actually going through a tough time in my life funny thing is I didn't realize how upset with my self I really was. At the time I had just made the decision to move out of a house that I had shared with my best friends. I couldn't afford it any longer but it felt Iike I was betraying them because everybody had to split up because of me. About two months after that I separated from a girlfriend I had very strong feelings for. It was a big change for me all at the same time. I was a college student moving back in with mom and dad. Decided to start drinking every night like they did. My family is full of big drinkers past and present. I don't blame them for my decision to drink but its a tough environment to be around especially when they don't know you're having trouble with alcohol. My drinking progressed slowly and turned into a major vice in my life. My biggest challenge is the hangovers and the withdraw symptoms. I feel like a different person I am no longer confident and sure of myself I am pretty much miserable. I want to quit but I cant seem to get through the anxiousness and the boredom. Almost every bad thing in my life has happened because of alcohol. I found this website this morning and it seems like a good community of people supporting each other. I'd love for some feedback and advice. Thanks
Old 08-03-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, lots of lovely people here who have experienced the same, lots of people to help & guide you, well done for taking the first step
Old 08-03-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR LukeStanley, it sounds like you have made an excellent decision. There is plenty of advice and encouragement to be found here.

One of the hardest things in the beginning is to not baulk at the concept of never drinking again. Don't dwell on that as it can be unnerving, just concentrate on not drinking one day at a time and it mounts up.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I agree with Saoutchik think one day at a time otherwise its overwhelming
Old 08-03-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I advise spending a few hours reading around on this forum and you will see that your problem is quite common. Withdrawals, boredom, not feeling well, sense of insecurity, yet we keep doing it. I can tell you with confidence that those things will go away with sustained sobriety. The early days our minds and bodies are in a transition, from being numb to being sober and present in our lives. That transition is sometimes uncomfortable, but gets much better with time. You are wise to catch this at a young age, you won't regret living a sober life.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great advice form the above . Thomas11 explains very well how most if not everyone on this site has felt and is going through .
Welcome LukeStanely
Old 08-03-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks I appreciate it. I hate drinking I want it out of my life. For the past couple of months I've been drinking just to fall asleep.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, perhaps join the Class of August 2017 thread.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. Welcome.
People here understand completely and will support you if you engage.

You can do this, and you will be thankful you did it for the rest of your life.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will thank you
Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey Luke ..
Welcome.
I too felt like you .. loss confidence and miserable ..
But when I FInally decided to quit ..
my life got so much better ..

Detox takes a few days to a week... then the clarity begins.
It does take time and can be boring ..

Hobbies are good thing to take mind off.

SR is wonderful place .. stay close and post often!
Old 08-03-2017, 08:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Luke,

Glad you joined SR. I wish I had found this forum when I was your age. Instead I drank for years and dealt with a lot of terrible consequences.

I totally get not knowing what to do with yourself once alcohol has been taken out of the equation. What I found was once I had taken alcohol out of my life, I was able to enjoy hobbies that I pushed aside due to drinking. I became active again, started running, swimming, incorporating activities I always enjoyed, but was never able to do them due to drinking instead. Coming to SR to read, post and blog is another activity that I enjoy.

As others have said, take some a do some reading here on SR. There is plenty of support and information here to get you started on a new life.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Luke,

Glad you joined SR. I wish I had found this forum when I was your age. Instead I drank for years and dealt with a lot of terrible consequences.

I totally get not knowing what to do with yourself once alcohol has been taken out of the equation. What I found was once I had taken alcohol out of my life, I was able to enjoy hobbies that I pushed aside due to drinking. I became active again, started running, swimming, incorporating activities I always enjoyed, but was never able to do them due to drinking instead. Coming to SR to read, post and blog is another activity that I enjoy.

As others have said, take some time to do some reading here on SR. There is plenty of support and information here to get you started on a new life.