Notices

Day 54-- overcame a challenge

Old 08-02-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 54-- overcame a challenge

Day 54.

Annnnnd... I'm feeling glad tonight. It was the first time since quitting drinking that my colleagues planned a group after-work happy hour. The workday promised to be a doozy. and it proved to be even worse than we'd assumed it would be. They were crazy-ready to drink, drink, drink when it was quitting time.

Note that these are "close" colleagues and friends, but I was a secret drinker-- none of them know I am an alcoholic or have a clue about my struggle.

I applied some things I have learned here:
1. Made a plan ahead of time: I made sure to plan an evening activity with my kids so I would have to drive them somewhere
2. Didn't explain, make excuses, or draw attention: I simply asked for a glass for water, and when the questions arose about why I wasn't drinking, just said, "Oh, just abstaining..." and changed the subject
3. Ate something beforehand: I was full when I arrived, and my cravings to drink always and only come when I am super-hungry
4. Left early

... and it was fine.
...and no one really cared what I was doing, so long as they had their drinks and enough guacamole
... and I walked out marveling at this new, freeing feeling of No Shame.

Thanks for listening. My recovery is a private journey, not shared with anyone in my daily life, yet for some reason I wanted to share this day. I am glad SR can be that place.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is amazing. Good for you. I'm just starting my path to sobriety and this is the one thing that scares me more than anything. I work in IT sales and it is an industry fueled by alcohol. I know it is possible to be the one that doesn't drink, but it is going to be hard :/
Old 08-02-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations findingmynext

D
Old 08-02-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 08-02-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice proud moment! Good for you!
Old 08-02-2017, 11:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yay! Well done you!!! How good does that feel?! And the good news is..... it gets even better!
Old 08-02-2017, 11:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MNVikes4life View Post
This is amazing. Good for you. I'm just starting my path to sobriety and this is the one thing that scares me more than anything. I work in IT sales and it is an industry fueled by alcohol. I know it is possible to be the one that doesn't drink, but it is going to be hard :/
My job is filled with alcohol, I own a bar! It is hard not to drink. I personally still avoid being out in the service area as much as possible. Occasionally I'll have to do something like pour wine samples for guests for an hour straight and it wracks my nerves. It makes me uncomfortable and I'm not quite sure how to be around regular guests (the drinkers who support my livelihood). At times it becomes a moral dilemma for me.