SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hey Ya'll (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/413699-hey-yall.html)

Irnldy001 08-02-2017 12:44 AM

Hey Ya'll

Long time abstainer but finally posing a question..Been alcohol free for a while now - couple of years.
Biggest daily struggle has been insomnia. I find sleep here and there but never convenient to life and work and kids etc. I sit here at 340 am and am watching the Martian for the25th time.
Anyone found some good ways at getting a restorative 5-6 hours a night?
Suggestions welcome. MEDS NOT.
Thanks in advance my late night wanderers.
Peace! PS I do dig Matt Damon. Always have.

SimplyFree 08-02-2017 05:27 AM

Having a regular excercise routine always helps my sleep pattern. Especially cardio like running, bicycling, swimming, jumping rope, anything that sustains an increased heart rate for 20min+. Personally I run a 5k min 2-4x week. Or melatonin, it's a supplement not a med. Good luck!

dwtbd 08-02-2017 06:23 AM

Have you tried sciencing the **** out of it ? :)

tealily 08-02-2017 06:37 AM

Congrats on your time alcohol free! That's awesome.

Some obvious suggestions: No caffeine after noon, not even chocolate. Exercise. A late night calming routine.
I also second Melatonin. (it's a natural substance). Has really helped me.

Do you find that your mind is racing? Are you a worrier? I used alcohol in a self medicating way for anxiety and depression. When I stopped I had a terrible time falling asleep, because I used to just "pass out". But it has evened out, and I am able to fall asleep naturally.

Have you talked to your doctor about it?

Best wishes to you and congratulations again!

Dee74 08-02-2017 03:59 PM

Guys

please share your personal experience - but no recommendations please. Thats medical advice by our rules.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
TL; DR

'This is what I did' not 'this is what you should do'

Thanks

Dee
SR

Dee74 08-02-2017 04:01 PM

I've used these tips before Irnldy001 :)

Insomnia Tips - How to Get Better Sleep
10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices