Notices

filling your day

Old 08-01-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

filling your day

day 12 for me now and feel i am returning back to the world of the living. Not encountered any more social situations, i dealt with the one and that was ok, but I'm not pushing my luck this early on. Just feel a little less afraid than i was a week or so ago when i felt so weak and thought anything could make me relapse. I guess I'm stronger in my conviction to do this for good. Its a good place to be. One of the things that's helping me and i just want to share, incase its helpful for others....

i felt a lot of self loathing and shame, and no motivation at first giving up. Then when i went through making my plan i came up with one thing i can do that will help me feel like I'm achieving something, as its when i feel I'm not getting anything done, my self esteem takes a beating, then i fear relapse is near.

I make a list in bed every morning on my phone, of the things i want to achieve in my day. Some days its been big things that have needed doing a long time and i haven't done as was too hungover etc. Or places we are going, now I'm not over the limit to drive, Some days its just the basics of life, eating, doing the dishes, take kids to the park, eat lunch, clean a couple of cupboards out....you get the idea. But i fill a big page, and as the day goes on i tick them off. I find its a great way to help me see what ive accomplished each day instead of being a hungover mess. i feel some pride and at the end of the day seeing it all checked off is a huge confidence booster. i feel less of a loser in life. I sorta feel like I'm getting my **** together and adulting at long last!

Anyway just a share of an idea of something that's integral to my recovery plan.

Last edited by Dee74; 08-01-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice! I love hearing how others manage their planning and motivation. Thank you for sharing. You sound good at day 12.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done I am on day 12 also
Old 08-01-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Do you list specific recovery-related goals/objectives for each day, or is that a different part of your plan?

I made recovery a big part of my "to-do" list: Reading recovery material, workbook exercises, journal writing, reading and posting to Sober Recovery, learning and applying new coping strategies, CBT, stress reduction, gratitude, and so forth. Filling my day was important, but filling my day with things that supported my choice to live sober was most important.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yeah i have that i log on here several times a day for the first month, i watch a documentary a day, or a lecture etc on recovery or addiction. ive bought a book on CBT and addiction. As well as wanting to work through books about recovery. At the end of the day i try and take a mindful moment laying in bed, where i think of how much i appreciate being in bed, being sober, feeling accomplished and ready to start a new day.

ive also been reading a lot about dopamine, and how in addicts our body responds in a different way to normal drinkers and recreational drug users. In that our brain becomes flooded with dopamine, when we indulge in our drug of choice, which keeps bringing us back chasing that high. There is some good information about ways we can raise our dopamine levels in natural ways, which is where my daily list of accomplishments came from.

I realise a lot of my issues come from a lack of self esteem, if i can break the pattern of thinking that led me to drink and found solice in alcohol, i have a hope of finding something that works better instead. After the school holidays have finished i am dedicating to going running 3 times a week. So i will re evaluate my plan in 5 weeks and see where i am. i haven't attended meetings, I'm not ruling it out if i need it, but at the moment i am content where i am in my recovery.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

[QUOTE=noturningback2;6557412
I make a list in bed every morning on my phone, of the things i want to achieve in my day. Some days its been big things that have needed doing a long time and i haven't done as was too hungover etc. Or places we are going, now I'm not over the limit to drive, Some days its just the basics of life, eating, doing the dishes, take kids to the park, eat lunch, clean a couple of cupboards out....you get the idea. But i fill a big page, and as the day goes on i tick them off. I find its a great way to help me see what ive accomplished each day instead of being a hungover mess. i feel some pride and at the end of the day seeing it all checked off is a huge confidence booster. i feel less of a loser in life. I sorta feel like I'm getting my s*^t together and adulting at long last!
[/QUOTE]

This is great. I made a list every day too and it felt so good to cross some things off at the end of the day. It helped me begin to boost my dismal self-esteem.

I'm glad things are going well.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by noturningback2 View Post
I make a list in bed every morning on my phone, of the things i want to achieve in my day. Some days its been big things that have needed doing a long time and i haven't done as was too hungover etc. Or places we are going, now I'm not over the limit to drive, Some days its just the basics of life, eating, doing the dishes, take kids to the park, eat lunch, clean a couple of cupboards out....you get the idea. But i fill a big page, and as the day goes on i tick them off. I find its a great way to help me see what ive accomplished each day instead of being a hungover mess. i feel some pride and at the end of the day seeing it all checked off is a huge confidence booster. i feel less of a loser in life. I sorta feel like I'm getting my s*^t together and adulting at long last!
This is great. I made a list every day too and it felt so good to cross some things off at the end of the day. It helped me begin to boost my dismal self-esteem.

I'm glad things are going well.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

today is a good day. ive ordered the fancy bed my eldest daughter has wanted for a long time, and I never had the money for. 2 weeks sober saved me the last bit of the money needed. And not drinking means I know I wont be struggling next week after paying for it either. Seems such a silly normal thing, but to me feeling 'normal' is so wonderful and i love seeing her face lit up. Makes the uncomfortable feelings and effort putting into my recovery all worthwhile. We have set the goal of repainting her room and buying new bedding etc in the next 2 weeks, so we are off to choose paint soon. Then next month its the second kiddos turn for a brand new bedroom. So so grateful for my sobriety today
Old 08-02-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Not,

I find filling idle time to distract my mind from my post drinking obsessions annoying.

Weekends are my boring days. I was taking extra vacation while healing from my drunken state. In doing that I realized being busy at work is the best way to pass time. I can't rationalize retiring yet. I'm only 50.

W work I have 8 plus hours each day filled. I am making good money to spend a real vacations vs puttering around the house.

I get the impression you don't have to work. I worry though that your ability to self govern your day could be a pending opportunity to relapse.

Consider getting a nice distracting part time job or volunteering?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, I do work part time, but at the moment my children are on school holidays. So I wont return to work until September. When the kids go back and I'm back at work, I find myself busy until 8pm at night. I am discovering about myself that sitting about, isn't for me. I'm trying to have goals of things I want to achieve, my husband is not handy, so its me that has to do all the stuff. But I just love taking a project on and transforming things, however I forgot all this amongst the chaos of the last 2 years or so. Its giving me ideas of perhaps its an avenue of a career once I am able to take on full time hours.

Relapse is not an option.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

day 12 for me now and feel i am returning back to the world of the living. Not encountered any more social situations, i dealt with the one and that was ok, but I'm not pushing my luck this early on. Just feel a little less afraid than i was a week or so ago when i felt so weak and thought anything could make me relapse. I guess I'm stronger in my conviction to do this for good. Its a good place to be. One of the things that's helping me and i just want to share, incase its helpful for others....

i felt a lot of self loathing and shame, and no motivation at first giving up. Then when i went through making my plan i came up with one thing i can do that will help me feel like I'm achieving something, as its when i feel I'm not getting anything done, my self esteem takes a beating, then i fear relapse is near.

I make a list in bed every morning on my phone, of the things i want to achieve in my day. Some days its been big things that have needed doing a long time and i haven't done as was too hungover etc. Or places we are going, now I'm not over the limit to drive, Some days its just the basics of life, eating, doing the dishes, take kids to the park, eat lunch, clean a couple of cupboards out....you get the idea. But i fill a big page, and as the day goes on i tick them off. I find its a great way to help me see what ive accomplished each day instead of being a hungover mess. i feel some pride and at the end of the day seeing it all checked off is a huge confidence booster. i feel less of a loser in life. I sorta feel like I'm getting my **** together and adulting at long last!

Anyway just a share of an idea of something that's integral to my recovery plan.
The early days of recovery were touch and go for me and like you, I knew that anything could set me off into a relapse. I found that the more time I had behind me my conviction became stronger. Congrats on Day 12. It was on Day 12 that I began to see the light too....and I came SR to post for the first time.

Creating a to do lists is great! If I'm not accomplishing something each day I feel more on edge. There are so many projects that have been completed since I stopped drinking and started a recovery program. My home is clean, laundry is done, my home office is organized and I look forward to each day. Additionally, projects are no longer a chore, but a welcome activity that solidifies the progress I am making.

You have the right attitude Noturningback...keep going!
Old 08-02-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

Thank you so much for this post! I'm only on day 3 so I'm still feeling really groggy and fog headed, but I've already felt my anxiety rise when I start to think about how I'm going to get through each day once I get some strength back. Making a list of to-do's is a great idea and makes me feel more optimistic!
Old 08-02-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

. ive bought a book on CBT and addiction. As well as wanting to work through books about recovery.
Sounds like you have a great plan!! Good job. What is the book title of the book on CBT and addiction?

At the end of the day i try and take a mindful moment laying in bed, where i think of how much i appreciate being in bed, being sober, feeling accomplished and ready to start a new day.
What a fantastic way to end the day!
Old 08-03-2017, 12:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The Addiction Recovery Skills Workbook: Changing Addictive Behaviors Using CBT, Mindfulness, and Motivational Interviewing Techniques (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbooks) by Suzette Glasner-Edwards

has anyone else read this? Ive only just started it but am fascinated with the subject of addiction and recovery, reading something everyday is helping wonderfully.

Last edited by Dee74; 08-03-2017 at 12:32 AM. Reason: No commercial links allowed :)