Notices

11 days

Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

11 days

Hi I'm new. I'm 11 days sober.. I feel really rubbish! Tired, no motivation, headaches... So bloated and puffy I actually look like I'm going to give birth! I drink gallons of water also! How long before my overall health improves! Heavy drinking last 15 years.. Vodka in the end neat! Thank u
Old 08-01-2017, 01:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 11 days!

Originally Posted by Debsgaff View Post
How long before my overall health improves!

It depends on many factors, nobody here can answer that question.
But one thing is 100% sure : as long as you're sober your health will only improve
Old 08-01-2017, 01:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Debsgaff

It varies from person to person really - or even from time to time - sometimes I was ok after a few days. sometimes a week - the last time it took me over a month to feel ok.

I hope you'll start to feel better soon

D
Old 08-01-2017, 01:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No Debs.

I remember being quite suprised and disappointed to find that early sobriety had me feeling absolutely rotten. All the things you mentioned, and then totally raw emotionally - as the Big Book of AA says - restless, irritable and discontent.about a month struggling to focus on anything for any length of time, with a head like a washing machine turning over and over and thoughts that went round and round. Then the anger and resentment kicked in, along with shame for every wrong I'd ever done... It was terrible. Thankfully people here and later at AA assured me that this was fairly common in the early days, and that it was a transitional phase and it would all be worth it in the end if I stayed sober and worked on my recovery. And even more thankfully they were right.

At the moment you are going through the mostly physical effects of getting sober. And while they are ghastly to go though, it might be worth starting to read around making a plan to help you when the other (more emotional / feelings) side of things start rearing their horrible little heads. There are some great threads on here about making a plan. I'll pop a link on to one in a mo. It might also be worth writing a list of meetings and resources available in your area so that if you need them you can get to them quickly without having to search around (by the time I realised that I really did need face to face help I was a bit of a wreck, so searching that information out was a bit of a task). A trip to your doctor to inform him of what you're doing and the vague reasons why would also be a good idea . This is not something I managed to do though - I just could not make the sentences come out of my mouth at the doctors. I told them what my symptoms at that moment were and she diagnosed Anxiety. ( No **** Sherlock!! I thought). She told me it couldn't actually kill me as well, which I didn't quite believe because it definitely felt like it could.

I'm not telling you all this to scare you, just so that if these things DO come up for you, hopefully you will remember that it's quite common and it WILL pass. (I promise.) I hope you decide to stick with it, and that you will continue to read and post here. It's a great community.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 08-01-2017, 03:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I have group today and take my thiamine and vit b. This is my third 'real' attempt at staying sober.. Just usually start looking and feeling better after about 10 days 🤔
Old 08-01-2017, 04:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 11 clean days. That's an amazing accomplishment. You should feel very proud of yourself. Hang in there.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Each day will get better. YOU can do this!!!!