Notices

Day 4 nearly complete but craving bad

Old 07-31-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by AwkwardKitty View Post
It's so funny when you are in the middle of them, you literally feel they will never go away, and they can only result in your head exploding.
Truer words............

We have all been there AwkwardKitty, and there's no other way to put it but that it's a horrible feeling. Try to remind yourself you won't always feel that way and the craving isn't going to last. I am so glad to see you got through it.

Have you heard of HALT?

Often cravings are the worst if we're hungry, angry, lonely, or tired.

Chocolate can help, ice cream is really good. A great movie and a pint of ice cream, even better.

Allow yourself what you need for now to get through the craving. You're doing hard work, you CAN do this!
Old 07-31-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes, that's good advice, thank you.

I was sober from December 2014 - April 2016, which is when I had my first drink after having my baby in Dec 2015. I originally stopped drinking because my anxiety had gotten so bad and I was very ill, which drunkeness and hangovers were exacerbating, so I just stopped 'for a while' and then I got pregnant, and that was that. I miss that person, I was the very best version of myself. I was so happy not drinking. As I said in another post, I thought that I'd had enough distance that I'd changed my compulsive drinking behaviours and I could control it. I had a night out in April 2016, got happily drunk, had another night out in the May then maybe June or July a few drinks at home, another night out in August, then slowly the gaps got smaller, and before I knew it I was binge drinking myself into oblivion 2-3 times a week. And so here I am. I've recognised it earlier this time (after over a decade of heavy drinking prior to getting sober before).
Thing is, last time, I didn't think of myself as sober, just as not drinking. I think it's a different mindset. I recognise this time that I want to be sober, I have no control if I drink, I want to stop drinking for good. You know what, it hyrt in my stomach when I typed those words. I felt a sense of panic, my AV saying 'well, maybe not for GOOD!'. I mean it though, I come from a long line of addicts, wasters, and I've made a good life for myself, it's just my drinking that holds me back and I'll be damned if I'm going to let the cycle pass down to my little boy. It's just not happening.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Day by day and hour by hour. We got this!