Notices

Exercise question

Old 07-31-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exercise question

During my addiction I was still very physically active ( I work in the fitness industry). There were a lot of days I didn't work out but it tried to most days. Now on the days I work out while I'm getting sober my anxiety is a lot worse afterwards and my cravings are intense. Does this happen to anyone else?? Any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Anxiety is very common in early sobriety. For a lot of people exercise actually helps because it burns off adrenaline, but everyone is different. I'd make sure you aren't over-exerting yourself, staying hydrated and making sure you are eating well so you have enough energy.

If the anxiety is a recurring problem, you might need to consider looking into counseling down the road as well. How long has it been since you stopped drinking?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Anxiety is very common in early sobriety. For a lot of people exercise actually helps because it burns off adrenaline, but everyone is different. I'd make sure you aren't over-exerting yourself, staying hydrated and making sure you are eating well so you have enough energy.

If the anxiety is a recurring problem, you might need to consider looking into counseling down the road as well. How long has it been since you stopped drinking?
My first time I went 9 days, had a slip up and now it's been 8 days this time.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Sdjfam View Post
My first time I went 9 days, had a slip up and now it's been 8 days this time.
I would suggest that it's probably going to take quite a bit more time than 8 or 9 days for your mind to start readjusting. It may even take up to 10 days or more just for your body to fully detox from a physical standpoint.

Remember that alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, so when you take it a way your brain is not used to it. Things will be quite rocky for a while, it can take weeks or even months for things to start getting back to "normal" from that standpoint.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your strong cravings after a workout probably come from being tired and hungry. Two of the important parts of H.A.L.T- Don't ever let yourself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired. After a workout you have burned a lot of calories and need to replenish them- you know this I'm sure if you work in the industry. Try eating some good, healthy protein rich foods like a piece of parmesan cheese, some prosciutto or full fat yogurt. That should take the edge of your cravings a bit.