Notices

Strange question for you all

Old 07-31-2017, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strange question for you all

Does anyone here talk to other people in their heads? I have conversations with folk inside my head ALL the time, now I know they are not really there in my head and I don't hear voices but I do a lot of make believe scenarios.

Anyone else do this?

I also have thoughts about not being able to control the solar system etc which causes me anxiety, I KNOW that one is wild LOL
Old 07-31-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know if this is what you mean but I have conversations of what 'might' happen in the future. So I plan I will say x,y,z if she says a,b,c and then I'll say d,e,f etc.

I've learned this is a classic sign of anxiety, worrying about future, projecting etc. Since i've been on a mild anti-anxiety drug it's almost stopped. Maybe see your GP?
Old 07-31-2017, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I don't know if this is what you mean but I have conversations of what 'might' happen in the future. So I plan I will say x,y,z if she says a,b,c and then I'll say d,e,f etc.

I've learned this is a classic sign of anxiety, worrying about future, projecting etc. Since i've been on a mild anti-anxiety drug it's almost stopped. Maybe see your GP?
Hmmm just general conversations about anything.

Already diagnosed with anxiety.

Just wondered if I was schizophrenic
Old 07-31-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My sponsor calls it 'having conversations with people who aren't in the room.' As in, "Well Berry, you'd be a lot less stressed if you stopped having conversations with people who aren't in the room and just spoke to someone else about it."

I'm not, to my knowledge, schizophrenic. The first 6 months of sobriety I had a tenuous grasp on my sanity though. Working my program has helped a lot and I tend to spot when I'm doing this, recognise that it's a sure sign (for me) that I'm rationalizing something or trying to scheme and plot so I can manoeuvre things my way - either an event or someone's opinion of me usually.

While I was still drinking I'd just go along with this line of thinking Willy nilly, then be surprised when the thing actually happened. For a while I had myself convinced that I possibly had powers of premonition. Now I know that I was actually a devious schemer and sometimes successful in my missions. It is something I try not to do any more.

BB
Old 07-31-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Often, if I'm anxious about an impending conversation which is likely to be difficult or confrontational (like before calling my sister, or my cellular provider's customer service line!), I'll "rehearse" that conversation in my head beforehand. It almost always goes worse in my head than it actually does in person, supporting the idea that our fears are usually worse than the reality.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very good answers folks keep em coming :-D
Old 07-31-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My anxiety would manifest itself in many different ways - and constant thoughts of trying to "control" just about anything were common.

If it's disruptive to your life i'd certainly bring it up to your therapist.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
My anxiety would manifest itself in many different ways - and constant thoughts of trying to "control" just about anything were common.

Oh I will do
Old 07-31-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You feeling better now? Did you have outlandish fears? Hope you don't mind me asking.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have talked to God out loud as well
as quietly in my thoughts and prayers
which gives me comfort knowing that
I'm not alone and that He does hear
me whatever the situation is.

And yes I have talked out loud about
folks I'm angry with or hold resentments
over. Even talk out loud to my many
furry feather friends, frogs, bugs.

I don't see anything wrong or sick
about expressing ones self out loud
either in love or anger.

Sometimes it helps to reason out
loud because sometimes I really
need to hear what I'm thinking
out loud. That way I can hear it better,
clearer, distinctly .
Old 07-31-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
I have talked to God out loud as well
as quietly in my thoughts and prayers
which gives me comfort knowing that
I'm not alone and that He does hear
me whatever the situation is.

And yes I have talked out loud about
folks I'm angry with or hold resentments
over. Even talk out loud to my many
furry feather friends, frogs, bugs.

I don't see anything wrong or sick
about expressing ones self out loud
either in love or anger.

Sometimes it helps to reason out
loud because sometimes I really
need to hear what I'm thinking
out loud. That way I can hear it better,
clearer, distinctly .

Hmm im on about talking with people inside your head making up scenarios with them etc

BUT I do like your idea of talking out loud
Old 07-31-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, I do drift into imaginary scenarios with people, complete with projected dialogue. Then I catch myself and make my mind focus on something else.

I'm pretty sure mine is just an overactive imagination, the kind of thing that is actually very common. Voices don't tell me to do things, and I am always able to switch my mind away from the scenarios.

I certainly know that they're not real!

Check it out with your therapist, though.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I argue with myself quite often.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Actually, now that I think about my imaginary scenarios, no matter what the situation, I'm always the only one talking. I don't presume what others would say.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
You feeling better now? Did you have outlandish fears? Hope you don't mind me asking.
I am definitely feeling better, yes. I had all kinds of illogical thoughts, for sure. My main problem was health anxiety and obsessive thoughts/actions tied to them. For example, unnoticed mole or bump on my skin became a melonoma after googling for a while and obsessing over all the possible disaster scenarios in my head. I also developed some very odd OCD routines at times. And sometimes i'd have panic episodes for the smallest thing, or sometimes for no apparent reason at all. Driving was a bad thing or even standing in a line at a store sometimes.

I've gone through a couple of different counselors, tried a couple meds, and explored lots of self help options like mindfulness and meditation. I can't really say which one of those "worked", it was most likely a combination of all of them and also just plain time. I'm a firm believer that drinking for 25 years altered my brain chemistry to the point that it's going to take plenty of time to change it back.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

imaginary conversations with others, conversations with myself, conversations with my dog....yup.
mental chatter, monkey mind.
talking to oneself is completely normal. conversations are a psychological way to sort ideas and thoughts.

id highly suggest leaving mental diagnosis to a professional
Old 07-31-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Actually, now that I think about my imaginary scenarios, no matter what the situation, I'm always the only one talking. I don't presume what others would say.
I make up conversations in my head with other people about random things, I don't know if it's just a wild imagination or not lol therapist will be notified tho.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am definitely feeling better, yes. I had all kinds of illogical thoughts, for sure. My main problem was health anxiety and obsessive thoughts/actions tied to them. For example, unnoticed mole or bump on my skin became a melonoma after googling for a while and obsessing over all the possible disaster scenarios in my head. I also developed some very odd OCD routines at times. And sometimes i'd have panic episodes for the smallest thing, or sometimes for no apparent reason at all. Driving was a bad thing or even standing in a line at a store sometimes.

I've gone through a couple of different counselors, tried a couple meds, and explored lots of self help options like mindfulness and meditation. I can't really say which one of those "worked", it was most likely a combination of all of them and also just plain time. I'm a firm believer that drinking for 25 years altered my brain chemistry to the point that it's going to take plenty of time to change it back.

Yeah alcohol does play a role in my opinion, glad you are recovering!

I get reaaaaally weird OCD, wouldn't even know where to start LOL
Old 07-31-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

from what i read, chilled , at least the last 3 years involved heavy drinking. 43 days is awesome, but its going to take more time for your brain to straighten out. i heard early on, and found it true for me, that it can take a year for the full effects of alcohol to be gone and the true underlying issues to be known.
give it time and keep working on you.
and
stay away from dr google!
just in case ya go there.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
from what i read, chilled , at least the last 3 years involved heavy drinking. 43 days is awesome, but its going to take more time for your brain to straighten out. i heard early on, and found it true for me, that it can take a year for the full effects of alcohol to be gone and the true underlying issues to be known.
give it time and keep working on you.
and
stay away from dr google!
just in case ya go there.
Thank you so much that's super appreciated!

Dr google has left my life