Notices

Strange question for you all

Old 07-31-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I do this all the time , it's like creating a Zola novel in your head with people you know involved. Your thoughts about the solar system are pretty epic though
Old 07-31-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheProdigy View Post
I do this all the time , it's like creating a Zola novel in your head with people you know involved. Your thoughts about the solar system are pretty epic though
Dude one time I freaked out because I couldn't control when the next super moon is
Old 07-31-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hahaha, you're the best!
Old 07-31-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
I get reaaaaally weird OCD, wouldn't even know where to start LOL
Start small. Just as there isn't an overnight cure for addiction, there is no magic pill or technique to cure anxiety, OCD or any other ailment overnight.

But doing a little bit each day adds up. Read about mindfuness or meditation and give it a try for example. You might not be able to do it for even 10 seconds, but even if you only do it for 2 seconds it's 2 seconds you didn't do yesterday. And slow, repetitive actions are exactly how we unlearn the old/relearn the new.

I have finally come to accept my anxiety as something that just "IS". It's just part of the fabric of me, and while I cannot change all of it...i can make my live a lot more livable. Everyone gets anxiety - it's a natural and necessary response to danger around us. Some of us just get more anxious than others and/or get anxious for reasons we shouldn't.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yep, I do that.

As others have said, its all about living in the past / future. I would highly recommend downloading the headspace app and trying mindfulness meditation which helps you learn to live in the present. You should also be able to get mindfulness books from your local library.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Start small. Just as there isn't an overnight cure for addiction, there is no magic pill or technique to cure anxiety, OCD or any other ailment overnight.

But doing a little bit each day adds up. Read about mindfuness or meditation and give it a try for example. You might not be able to do it for even 10 seconds, but even if you only do it for 2 seconds it's 2 seconds you didn't do yesterday. And slow, repetitive actions are exactly how we unlearn the old/relearn the new.

I have finally come to accept my anxiety as something that just "IS". It's just part of the fabric of me, and while I cannot change all of it...i can make my live a lot more livable. Everyone gets anxiety - it's a natural and necessary response to danger around us. Some of us just get more anxious than others and/or get anxious for reasons we shouldn't.
Last few days ive been trapped in a box of fear and panic because of ONE thought regarding spiritual matters.

I will however do as you suggested!
Old 07-31-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I guess im super peed off that im in the 2 percent of the population with ocd, frustrates me!

ANYHOOOOOOO vent over
Old 07-31-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I guess im super peed off that im in the 2 percent of the population with ocd, frustrates me!
why be PO'ed when you have something there is a solution for?
which being PO'ed isnt part of the solution.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
why be PO'ed when you have something there is a solution for?
which being PO'ed isnt part of the solution.
When it's severe it can't be cured only managed, I have to try and find a way for my brain to work differently.

All if this I shall bring up with my therapist.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

When it's severe it can't be cured only managed, I have to try and find a way for my brain to work differently.
Actually, even moderate psych issues are "managed" vs being "cured". And a lot of us here are in that percentage with you...so we get it. Doesn't seem fair I know but as TS says, the solution isn't worrying about why we are why we are - it's about taking action to make change and manage our conditions.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

All if this I shall bring up with my therapist.
welp, i never insinuated it could be cured and im aware of that. i have OCD,too. it was extremely bad when i got sober.
but i learned how to manage it. i learned how to not let it control me.
managing it IS the solution.
and it took quite a bit of time to learn how to manage it. flare up from time to time, but i have a solution.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

As long as I can live a fairly normal life that is all I hope for.

I gotta huuuuuuuge list of things to talk too with my therapist lol
Old 07-31-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

might want to take pen and paper to write down what your therapist says about it all so you can remember afterwards
Old 07-31-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
might want to take pen and paper to write down what your therapist says about it all so you can remember afterwards
Yep! My brain is like a drain right now.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

A good way to process stuff.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Does anyone here talk to other people in their heads? I have conversations with folk inside my head ALL the time, now I know they are not really there in my head and I don't hear voices but I do a lot of make believe scenarios.

Anyone else do this?

I also have thoughts about not being able to control the solar system etc which causes me anxiety, I KNOW that one is wild LOL
Yeah, used to a lot when I drank, and also years ago as a kid. I don't know if it was loneliness or boredom or just static, but I'd imagine situations and conversations with people I know. Not dreamlike either -- very plausible, but still imaginary.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
nmd

Does anyone here talk to other people in their heads? I have conversations with folk inside my head ALL the time, now I know they are not really there in my head and I don't hear voices but I do a lot of make believe scenarios.

Anyone else do this?

I also have thoughts about not being able to control the solar system etc which causes me anxiety, I KNOW that one is wild LOL
Yes, absolutely. Kind of an immersive day dreamimg. I have a tendency to do that while alone (and pace). My wife has pointed out that I talk with my hands occationally when having a conversation in my head, lolol.

I also tend to be very visual, so I at some level "see" the person im talking to. Kind of like spontaneously snappong in and out of a trace state of.i had to describe it

It doesnt concern me, I just think some people get lost deeper in thought than others