Notices

Fear of what withdrawals will be like

Old 07-31-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear of what withdrawals will be like

Hi all. I am new here and need support. I have been telling myself everyday for many many years that I want to quit drinking. I am a bottle a wine night kinda gal for 10 years with some unfortunate vodka use thrown in the mix. I haven't touched hard liquor in over a year due to being fearful of what it was doing to my mind. I thought I was smart thinking wine wouldn't do any damage. Haha. The jokes on me. I have been suffering panic attacks for months now. Have ended up in the ER with an ocular migraine. Told the ER doc that I drink a bottle of wine a night and he gave me Ativan. I'm fearful to take it since there is mental illness in my immediate family and my mom had a break down on Ativan.
My thing is I need to stop drinking TODAY. I'm done with it in all senses. I'm a high functioning wino and hate what torture I mentally put myself through everyday.
I'm just so afraid of withdrawals. I can't go anywhere to stop right now due to important commitments at work that I can not miss this week.
I am just hoping being here and getting support will relieve some of my anxiety while I finally give up drinking. I asked my husband who drinks beer every night to be part of a 30 day challenge of not drinking with me. He said he would accept the challenge. I'm not sure he will follow through but I need to and I need to stay strong for myself.
Please pray for me and I will pray for you if you are struggling
Thank you for listening.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome you will get lots of help and support here
Old 07-31-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Hope,

Your story sounds a lot like me. I was able to drink 1-2 bottles of wine a night and still perform my daily tasks. Hungover albeit but I still was able to function and get what needed to be done taken care of. What truly lead me to recovery (again...I've made many attempts) was the constant panic attacks, anxiety and my quality of life. I had begun to lose hope and I knew it was time to change.

Most of us would suggest seeing a doctor before becoming abstinent as it can be dangerous. Then, get rid of all of the booze in your home. SR has been a lifeline for me and I come here every day to read or post. I recommend you do the same.

Wishing you the best on your new journey. You won't regret it!
Old 07-31-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Most of us have withdrawn (by choice or circumstance) countless times. Withdrawl sucks. There is no easy way around it. The other (sober) side is so much better though. Sometimes you have to suffer to get the reward.

The docs have detox down pretty well. Find a doc and talk to him/her about safely detoxing. Then start laying the ground work for recovery. Having a support network and a plan to keep sober after the withdrawal is the most important part in my opinion.

As for the anxiety, I found mine was 100% fueled by alcohol and I was consistently turning mole hills into mountains and then not dealing with them effectively because of my addiction. In hindsight, my anxiety was all for nothing and it got me nowhere. That anxiety disappeared when I stopped drinking and addressed my issues. (I was so bad I couldn't drive a vehicle or go into crowded areas without extreme anxiety. Those days have all been left behind with the booze!)
Old 07-31-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Hopefully4me!!
Old 07-31-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going hopefully4me?
Old 07-31-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

When we take a pacifier away from an infant, he cries. It's like that, but sometimes we cry harder.

See a doctor for a medical and safe detoxing!!

Then find a program that works and work it like it's life and death!
Old 07-31-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Hopefully, remember today is the only day you need worry about. Sometimes it is even just the moment we are in. Whatever moment, urge, emotion or challenge that comes your way, in this community others have been there, or might even be experiencing the same challenge at the same time. Be here, read, develop the tool for being strong in sobriety. We are all here to support each other in the same goal.....to say goodbye to alcohol. This is possible...for YOU!!
Old 07-31-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Hopefully,

So glad you are here and thinking of reclaiming your life. I can relate to a lot in your post. I'm now 2 months without alcohol, after being about a bottle a night wine drinker for years. Change is possible, and life is so much better!

Please let us know how you are doing.

Here's my story if you want to read it:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rate-stop.html
Old 08-01-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the insight and words. They mean a great deal to read others experience and knowledge on this.
Yesterday was easier than I thought and I slept quite well. I did take a half of the Ativan again, which helped for sure. But I know this is just the beginning. I've never got past 3 days in 10 years, but I also never looked at it truly as a day at a time. Even though I read the big book several times and went to AA years and years ago. But yesterday it sunk in. Nothing extraordinary happened, just tired of the anxiety. These attacks kick my butt everytime.
I'm going to visit here and read others stories and posts and gain comfort in the fact that we are not the only ones struggling.
Oh, and my husband didn't drink either!
Thank you again everyone. I'm adding the SR community to my gratitude prayer this morning.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hopefully4me - Great to hear you made it through the night!
My withdrawal or detox period was about 3-4 days.
Mine was not too bad.
Mostly stomach issues and headaches. Super tired too.

The cravings were not intense at first... because I KNEW that I was NOT going to drink no matter what.

Stay hydrated.. Get some of your favorite soft drinks or just plain old water.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with MidnightRider, staying hydrated will help. I drink Polar seltzer water by the case load now that I'm off the sauce. Like you, I was a daily drinker. For what it's worth, I did not have any physical withdrawal symptoms from alcohol. I am still struggling with the emotional withdrawal, but I expect that will be the case for many months, possibly years!

We are here for you!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good job, post here every day, even multiple times a day if need be. You can get past 3 days, I am sure of it. I doubt you will regret not drinking, the benefits are tremendous. Hopefully your husband can join you.

Oh, and withdrawals....they are no fun, ever. But for some of us withdrawals are necessary to go through in order to start sobriety.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hopefully, welcome to the forum and well done on your decision to quit.

I drank 1 or 2 bottles of wine a day, and sometimes even more on weekends. I thought I was coping at work but in reality the anxiety, depression, poor quality sleep and constantly feeling overwhelmed (probably apportioned 90% due to alcohol and 10% work related) were impacting on my performance.

The withdrawal for me was not too bad and after a week I thought that I was almost feeling "normal" again. I must have forgotten what normal felt like, because it just kept improving. The anxiety is gone, I am sleeping extremely well, again like initiating conversations, smile without having to force it and just generally feel happy and positive in all aspects of my life. I have new-found enthusiasm for hobbies that became neglected.

Productivity at worked improved measurably, and I can't believe that I thought I was doing OK despite drinking.

Best of all, it got much easier after the first week, and I have only done about 1 month!

It is good that you have a supportive husband and think that will help you get through the first week or so. Taking it one day at a time helps many of us to get through the early stages. On previous attempts at quitting I was even taking it hour by hour.