Notices

Feeling a tad let down, lonely but hopeful

Old 07-30-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling a tad let down, lonely but hopeful

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

First off, I'm at 9 weeks down and staring my tenth, WOW. My body feels so healthy and I feel so happy, it's incredible.

Now onto the bad stuff. My best friend was visiting NYC this weekend from Dallas with his boyfriend. He knew I wasn't drinking and we'd been talking about it for a while (although it's me mentioning I've given it up and he just kind of ignores it).

On Friday we were meant to meet for dinner. I showed up and they were a few drinks in and had eaten a lot of chips, so I wound up just ordering a meal for myself and eating alone. I stuck to Red Bull and diet coke all night and there were just constant comments on how it was so weird I wasn't drinking, how I should just have one, how he was going to 'trick me' into drinking and just bringing up a lot of embarrassing stories from the past (the drinking days).

I made it through the night without being even tempted to drink (on a pub crawl) so that's a positive! But it just wasn't fun. I felt like this was one of my important friendships that were left and it's just not great how it happened.

We were supposed to meet yesterday but they kept changing the time (I think they were drunk) and they blew me off and also blew me off for brunch today before they left.

He texted me from the airport like nothing was wrong. I feel bummed and let down. I really hated being in a situation where people were insisting on trying to make me have 'just one' and just making fun of my old drunken antics.

Thanks for listening, sorry for the brain dump. BUT it's Sunday night, I survived the visit and my sobriety is stronger than ever.

D
Old 07-30-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can see how you would feel quite let down. Very disappointing. Your friends' behavior was quite rude and immature.

You should feel very proud of sticking to your guns. Your body and mind are telling you how good sober is! Going on TEN weeks...fabulous...keep going!!!

Glad you shared here.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that happen. Getting sober costs us just like drinking costs us. I quit drinking , my best friend installed a keg. He got whiskey for his birthday, i went home early. Things are different now.......I have no real friends these days. My family lives 1000 miles away. But I trust there are healthy days ahead......maybe even happy ones. Drinking never made happy days....I'm staying sober.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a disappointing visit! I'm so sorry. You were very strong and you did a fantastic job. Your friend on the other hand- not at all. Sounds like he definitely has some prossessing to do regarding the new you. Which is ok but he handled it in a hurtful way. Hopefully some time and more conversations about your sobriety will bring out the nondrinking aspects of your friendship and you all can have a better visit next time.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe I'm a little harsh here but my opinion of that is that people who care about you would not attempt to do you harm in order to improve their evening.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took a little time for people to adjust to the new me, and just as much time for me to adjust to them.

Trust me, your real friends will still be there in the end - even if they don't understand why you're doing this.

D