SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   The ease returns... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/413577-ease-returns.html)

applewakesup 07-30-2017 12:13 PM

The ease returns...

So, I just posted about my sober vacation. I am really proud of myself for it and had a great time, really enjoying the time.

There was, however, something weird about it. I felt a little off. Now, as I sit here and read up on the forums, I am starting to feel at ease again. The thoughts of being able to drink safely someday are subsiding. The normalcy of being sober is returning.

This place is my sober support system. I do not have a single friend in recovery. I have many supportive people in my life who have my best interest at heart, but it's not the same as having another person in recovery to talk to, relate to, etc. Even hearing the stories of relapse help me to be stronger.

Thanks, SR, for returning peace to my mind.

nova84 07-30-2017 01:07 PM

I know what you mean apple...checking in on SR definitely helps me feel grounded. I feel very fortunate to have a good friend who has 9 years of sobriety and I asked him to be my sobriety mentor...it is definitely supporting my sobriety. Are you able to attend any face to face groups/meetings where you would be able to develop friendships with others who are also embracing sobriety? x

applewakesup 07-30-2017 04:01 PM

Hi nova,

I did go to one AA meeting. I know I should give it more chances, but I really don't feel like it's for me. Actually, the reason I went is to make some sober friends. There is a sober meetup group here that I really want to try, but the events haven't been workable for me so far.

I am involved in several groups that do healthy things, where drinking isn't involved, but not specifically for people who have gotten sober. Most of the people in those groups do drink. I guess it makes sense that all my friends drink, because that's what I really liked to do before I got sober.

I do need to make an effort to get more involved with some type of face to face group because I really think I would benefit from it.

Arbor 07-30-2017 05:02 PM

Hey, apple. Connecting with others in recovery is like striking gold. SR is such a valuable tool in that way. Now, imagine the face to face. AA proved to me I had a home. A voice that could be heard. There are so many meetings around. If one didn't work maybe try another? Always good to have other options. :)

Dee74 07-30-2017 05:06 PM

Welcome back applewakesup :)

D

Mattq2 07-30-2017 05:15 PM

I agree apple. When times get tough I know a few minutes here in my safe haven will make everything right again. It's a pretty amazing place. Good for you.

Anna 07-30-2017 05:27 PM

You will always find support here, Apples.