SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Has anyone done it without AA meetings (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/413563-has-anyone-done-without-aa-meetings.html)

Mummyto2 07-30-2017 07:00 AM

Has anyone done it without AA meetings

I keep reading you must go to AA but I cant as I have previously said ie the country and place where I live, zero meetings near me, I am trying the steps myself, listening to AA meetings online, on here as well for support, have my hubby and families support as well

hellrzr 07-30-2017 07:39 AM

In my experience those who have long term success and happiness at least started in AA and got a good foundation understanding what it takes to deal with this day to day. There are also MANY people in AA who go back out and start drinking and using again so in reality it comes down to each person and how they find a way to deal with life on life's terms. You sound like you really do what to change and are willing to go to any lengths to do that. With that attitude you will no doubt find a way to make this happen for you!

Do you by chance have any medical facilities around that would have a therapist to work with? Someone like that could be used to help be a sponsor of sorts and maybe help you with the steps? There are also on-line resources and other methods, even besides AA, that many here say work for them. You have a great attitude though and really want to chance so you are half way there with that attitude.

least 07-30-2017 07:41 AM

I went to AA in my first year of recovery but am coming up on 8 yrs sober without anything but SR. :)

tealily 07-30-2017 07:44 AM

I don't do AA and don't plan to. SR has been it for me.

bunnezjp 07-30-2017 07:45 AM

3yrs, 2mo, 18days. Haven't been to AA or anything like it in 3 years.

~Bunnez

notgonnastoptry 07-30-2017 07:46 AM

Yes--I've done it without any support except for here. I'm not a particularly strong person (obviously, since I developed this to begin with) and I have zero or maybe negative support at home where they look at it as a moral failing.

I tried AA. Not at all interested and it has nothing to do with the whole higher power stuff (I don't believe, but that didn't bother me; seems it's ubiquitous in our culture and that's another annoying thing, but a rant for another day). I don't really get the story-telling, and the method. I'm obviously in the minority since it's been key for so many here and everywhere. I did like one IOP that I went to--I felt it was helpful. The second one I went to was a complete waste of time. People were mandated and even the "teacher" was just trying to pass the hours.

I did get a referral for someone who deals with professionals, but I never went (that was last year). I've been sober for 14 months, so maybe I'll think different if I relapse.

notgonnastoptry 07-30-2017 07:47 AM

Also, I've never been a fan of teamwork (not saying this is teamwork), but in school, etc., at my job, any time we are assign to work together, I do all of it because I have to have things done in a particular way. May be part of why I don't benefit in these settings.

Mummyto2 07-30-2017 07:52 AM

Thanks guys, feel better now :thanks

Outonthetiles 07-30-2017 07:52 AM

No AA for me. SR only for me and it's going great.

Anna 07-30-2017 07:59 AM

I haven't used AA.

I think the more important thing is your motivation, because you must be motivated in order to make any plan/program work for you.

nez 07-30-2017 08:11 AM

Meetings are not the end all and be all of the program of AA. The meat of AA is the twelve steps.

Meetings are merely a tool and helpful without a doubt, but as I discovered many many many times, they will not keep me sober. I am firmly convinced that I am "happy, joyous, and free" and sober, strictly as a result of working the 12 steps, and nothing else.

Lack of attendance at meetings, does not mean that I will drink again either. Early in sobriety I lived on a tropical island with no meetings and a deeply ingrained drinking culture. There drinking was a part of life, not to mention all the tourists on inebriated vacations.

Just like my numerous, different, and varied methods at not drinking (pre AA). I tried the same thing with AA. I tried meetings, no meetings, service, no service, sponsor, no sponsor, and combos of the latter, etc. etc. etc.

The only real solution for me was when I finally got around to working all twelve steps.

Meetings are not needed to work the twelve steps.

JScatt 07-30-2017 08:16 AM

I don't post much but I do read the threads here everyday and you seem determined and positive.
Over the years I've gone to more than a few AA meetings in different towns and states and they weren't for me.
Millions have succeeded without AA, as a mater of fact there are a couple of SR mods/administrators with years and years of sobriety who are not AA'ers.
Seems you are giving 110% to staying sober, good job and keep it up!

llk555 07-30-2017 08:22 AM

No AA for me either. I would go if the other help wasn't sufficient, but fortunately it it.

Medication, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and this forum work well for me.

nez 07-30-2017 08:30 AM

Reading back through the replies that happened will I was typing (I type sloow) I realized that I probably misinterpreted the the question.

I thought it was about whether meeting attendance was a factor or not, to success in AA.

I didn't mean to come across stridently AA, I just thought it was an AA question.

I don't believe that AA is the only show in town. I am all for whatever gets you to the party. Sobriety is a wonderful gift and I hope that anyone who is searching for it finds it by whatever means or method works. :~)

january161992 07-30-2017 08:58 AM

I'm a very strict AA guy for myself

if I ever tell anyone else what they should be doing ....

I'm making a mistake

:tyou

Forward12 07-30-2017 09:03 AM

While having a support group like AA does raise success rates quite a bit, it isn't the only path. Plenty have found recovery from non-12 step groups like smart, rational recovery, 1-1 therapist meetings, recovery books,.. Others have found their path just from this forum, and a few that just threw their hands up and said "I'm done with this sh**" and never look back just from sheer willpower.

D122y 07-30-2017 09:06 AM

Google it...AA doesn't have a guaranteed success rate. Quite the opposite. AA is a way to stay sober.

Some folks can get sober no matter what, others can't stay sober no matter what.

The f2f interaction w other addicts has been the main reason I go to meetings. There is a ton of baggage when 20 plus addicts are in the same room. I always leave w new feelings...good and bad.

In my 2 plus years sober, I am beginning to become more aware of my emotions. I realize my obsessions lead to sadness, depression. I used to pathetically drink them away.

These days i combat depression w tools I Google. Everybody is fighting an inner battle. No fully aware human escapes feelings of woe.

This is life.

Thanks.

ReadyAtLast 07-30-2017 09:23 AM

Different things work for different people. AA isn't the only way.

I use Rational Recovery: AVRT - google it, look at the online stuff and there is also a book. It just makes complete sense to me.

It's all about finding a recovery method whcih works for you.

Mummyto2 07-30-2017 09:23 AM

Thanks everyone, its nice to know that success can happen by doing the 12 steps and being here without meetings, much appreciated

ReadyAtLast 07-30-2017 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 (Post 6555498)
Thanks everyone, its nice to know that success can happen by doing the 12 steps and being here without meetings, much appreciated

Sorry I misunderstood your question I thought you wanted to know if people got sober without AA.

12 steps is an AA thing-I think some do online meetings rather than physically present meetings. maybe someone will have more info for you.