Notices

Has anyone done it without AA meetings

Old 07-30-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I just remembered, there are skype online AA meetings too. You might want to check it out
Home
it says home but that s the link
Old 07-30-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Old 07-30-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some good advice here

Like others have said I used SR - I think whatever kind of positive programme you use, if you work it 110% it'll work for you.

welcome to SR from me, Mummyto2

D
Old 07-30-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 07-30-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

My support group is really just here at SR. I believe AA is a wonderful organization and people are successful there everyday. I didn't work out for me. So if you can attend an online meeting or something....try it.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:21 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
That being said, the big book isn't something that one can do on their own. You'd really need a big book guide to take you through the steps.
Respectfully, I have to disagree with your comment Pathway. The Big Book is the guide, that's why it was originally written. But don't take my word for it; just read the Forward to the First Edition where it explicitly states "To show other alcoholics precisely how we have recovered is the main purpose of this book."

While some of the language and syntax is a little archaic, the doctrine and instructions it contains should be rather easily understood by anyone with a high school education or equivalent (and I would argue that a smart high school freshman can understand it).

I would also suggest that even if an individual has a sponsor or someone to take them through the book, the newcomer should read and understand the book on their own, that way they will not fall victim to someone who might misrepresent the Program, or attempt to teach the newcomer what I call "folk AA" (exercises and doctrine made up by AA members and handed down through the decades) as opposed to the program laid out in the Big Book and other approved literature..

To be clear, I'm not advocating forgoing a guide and a sponsor, but I maintain that adults are adults, and anyone who can't understand on the Program from reading the literature along with minimal input from experienced AA's has serious learning disabilities or emotional issues that need to be addressed by professionals or organizations outside of AA.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:17 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
Because I have done it
You could consider asking for a different therapist and/or type of therapy. I don't know what it's like where you are, but where I live there are many options.