SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   51 days and I adopted a dog... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/413561-51-days-i-adopted-dog.html)

FeelingL0st 07-30-2017 06:55 AM

51 days and I adopted a dog...

If you had asked me 6 months ago if I wanted the responsibility and commitment of a dog (I do have 2 cats but they don't require walks or much training) to walk, train, groom, feed and take care of I would have said "Ummm, no thanks I'm way too busy drinking and drugging to take care of anyone or anything else"
I've always been a dog person and have had dogs my entire life with my last one passing over a year ago at 18 years old.
A few weeks ago I was looking at dogs online..just LOOKING! and found a dog who just struck something in me, as have all my other rescues.
I went to visit him, fell in love, but told the shelter I wanted to think about it.
I came home and prayed about it, I talked to women in the rooms about it, I prayed about it, once I got a sponsor I then talked to her about it, I prayed about it, I talked to friends about it, I made sure I talked to EVERYONE about it, LOL, because this is a lifetime commitment and I am so early in my recovery. But every person and every prayer resulted in nothing but positive things, so I brought him home yesterday.
So, now I have a dog and I am 51 days clean and sober.
My entire life has changed in ways I never thought possible.
Just wanted to share
With that, I'll pass ;)

Upstairs 07-30-2017 07:19 AM

Good for you and the dog! Now you need a name for the pup 🐶

BixBees505 07-30-2017 07:36 AM

Your pup is as lucky as you are! Good work, indeed.

Anna 07-30-2017 08:02 AM

If you like reading, you might like 'A Pack of Two' by Caroline Knapp. She adopted a dog when she finished rehab and credits the companionship and responsibility of the dog as a very positive part of her recovery. (She also wrote Drinking: A Love Story).

thomas11 07-30-2017 08:46 AM

Congratulations. Take care of him, and he'll take care of you. I love my dogs to death. Very therapeutic.

DaisyBlueNew 07-30-2017 08:50 AM

Omg I've been thinking the same thing - I so want to adopt a dog and I'm only on Day 3. You've inspired me to do it, and wait until day 50. So that will be a goal I'll put on my calendar :) Approx. Sept. 18. Can't wait to see a pic or what you've named him! Congrats you have one lucky dog and it seems you are meant to be together.

least 07-30-2017 09:07 AM

Congrats on 51 days sober and congrats on your new furry friend. :)

FeelingL0st 07-30-2017 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 6555405)
If you like reading, you might like 'A Pack of Two' by Caroline Knapp. She adopted a dog when she finished rehab and credits the companionship and responsibility of the dog as a very positive part of her recovery. (She also wrote Drinking: A Love Story).

Thanks, Anna
I love reading and will put it on my list
I have so many books I want to read these days :)

FeelingL0st 07-30-2017 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by DaisyBlueNew (Post 6555469)
Omg I've been thinking the same thing - I so want to adopt a dog and I'm only on Day 3. You've inspired me to do it, and wait until day 50. So that will be a goal I'll put on my calendar :) Approx. Sept. 18. Can't wait to see a pic or what you've named him! Congrats you have one lucky dog and it seems you are meant to be together.

Good for you!
That's a wonderful, healthy goal to set for yourself!!
Good luck

cocokramer 07-30-2017 01:05 PM

Oh lost, I'm so happy for you!!!!!

There are so many tiny responsibilities that I couldn't handle in early recovery that are a cake walk today!!!!!

My furbabies (2 cats) have been such a blessing every day!!!!!

When I cuddle them, I am absolutely sure that there is a higher power because who else could have created such beauty and unconditional love!

best to you and your new baby.

tealily 07-30-2017 01:10 PM

Congratulations to you and your new pup!
So happy for you both.

CrossYourHeart 07-30-2017 01:20 PM

Pics would be wonderful if you're willing to share! Congrats on 51 days and congrats to doggie for finding a loving home!

Bob4x4 07-30-2017 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Upstairs (Post 6555328)
Good for you and the dog! Now you need a name for the pup 🐶

I know of someone that named his dog Sober, as a reminder everytime he called the dogs name that he too was sober.

Congrats on the 51 days and your new source of unconditional love.

arf .

Dee74 07-30-2017 06:08 PM

congrats to both you and your new dog :)

D

FeelingL0st 08-01-2017 04:03 PM

I'm not ready to share pictures just yet.
As much as I adore all of you, this is, after all, the Internet and I'm not ready to share pics here just yet. :)
Just an update. I truly believe "J" was brought to me for a reason.
I feel we are so connected, even after 4 a short 4 days.
He is an old, gentle soul.
He's so wonderfully behaved and patient, he is just what I need in my life.
My 2 cats even love him!!
Living in an apartment, I don't have the luxury of simply opening my back door and letting him out to run in a fenced yard, so now I get my butt up and out to walk him several times a day.
I have met many new people in my complex!
Amazing what happens when you don't sit in your home, isolate and drink and drug your life away.
I feel so blessed to have this boy in my life.
I just can't imagine anyone dumping him in a shelter, but it is my luck they did!