Notices

Today

Old 07-29-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today

So today the same girl who sold me a bottle of vodka yesterday was on at the supermarket so i bought a gift bag and a card so she didn't think I was buying a bottle of vodka the next night..pathetic!!
Old 07-29-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to alternate which offies I would go to each night so that the staff wouldn't think I drank every day.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup. I used to buy wine at Trader Joes, and throw some greek yogurt and flowers on top...............
Old 07-29-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Oh yes - been there and totally understand, Colomac. I had 3 liquor stores I used on a regular basis. You are never alone - and we all get it. I hope you'll stay with us and talk some more.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, we never fooled anyone. I once had a cashier say... "see you tomorrow". I wanted to slink out the door.

We've all been in your shoes, colomac. I was so caught up in my addiction, I didn't realize the only person I was fooling was myself.

Welcome to SR. This is a very supportive community with tons of great suggestions anytime you're ready to stop, colomac.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Colomac

The worst part is getting to the point where you no longer care what the shop people think...

I'm glad you found us - welcome

D
Old 07-30-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, I've read the gift card thing here before.

I used to try to alternate stores (and living in multiple places helped--long story), but in the last year or so, it was all about convenience and getting that fix asap. That was usually first thing in the morning because I tried to ration myself (eyeroll) and would run out overnight.

So, buying had to take place at 7:xx a.m. It was often at CVS (the same) or Walgreens (I would alternate those). I was buying the cheap stuff, buying at 7 a.m. and, on Mondays if I was tired enough (before work), I wouldn't bother to go to another place if the liquor aisle was still blocked off and I'd have to ask the lady to open the aisle (I lived in a state that didn't sell on Sundays!)

So, with all of those factors, I gave up the game and just faced the facts that we all knew what was going on. Thankfully, they acted like it was completely normal. It sucked, but luckily, it wasn't that busy because other customers don't have to put on a sham about it.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Colomac,

Glad you are here. Welcome! It's those realizations of how ridiculous our behavior has become that help move us, I think, one by one, to help us finally get off the lunacy of the Drinking Treadmill.

Are you new here and ready to make a change too?

I did that kind of sneaking around. It was pitiful. I'd buy wine in every possible place in town -- gourmet wine stores, Costco, Sams, random grocery stores, drug stores, convenience marts, Wal Mart, Target... It makes me ashamed to think about the money I spent, the miles I drove, the bottles I hauled.

If I went out late at night to buy wine, I'd throw in a few "necessary" items in the basket to make it seem reasonable to be at the store buying wine at say 10 pm. "Oh, she needed toilet paper, and then just happened to get wine too."

Riiiighhht.

Dee's observation is right on, too.. It is inevitable that there would have come a day when we didn't care anymore what the clerks think. By then, how far would we be gone?

I decided I couldn't live that way anymore. I haven't bought wine in over 2 months. It's such a relief. (I've also saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars.)

Hope you are ready to turn a corner too.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just went to the same shop, they smiled, I'd get a bottle of wine. I'm sure their inventory orders have adjusted some since I quit drinking Porte. I love the money I've saved over the last 15 weeks. The good in sobriety is sooo good. M glad to be here.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

:-) we have all done this !

My best one was to grab a load of stuff I didn't need,go to checkout then run back to grab wine like it was a after thought !!

Obviously I'm not a alcoholic if it was a after thought ay..😂..fooled no one in shop as I went in there every day at 5.30 for 2 bottles
Old 07-31-2017, 09:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I wasn't housebound I used to go to the same shop everyday , sometimes in the morning........they knew what was up lol
Old 07-31-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In Scotland you can't buy alcohol before 10am. Oh the shame of queuing at 10am then saying "oh it's for tonight" yes sure....
Old 07-31-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Colomac!!
Old 07-31-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yep did that as well, different people same disease