Notices

Back again

Old 07-30-2017, 12:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kenton View Post
Hi Readyatlast, welcome back.

It's so powerful to read your words and the words of Pippo, lookinforward and Jeni. Such powerful reminders to all of us that it doesn't matter how many years you get under your belt, alcohol will always be there... waiting for an opportunity to pounce.

Thank you for sharing and I wish you every success in this journey. I know it gets harder each time but all your years of sobriety will have given you the strength to do this again. Before you know it, you will have all your sober time back and you will have inspired and helped countless others in the process. Thank you
Thanks Kenton, this site and its members have been such a source of help and inspiration for me over the years and I hope will be instrumental in me getting and staying sober this time. For you too and all the other people
Old 07-30-2017, 12:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Thanks everyone for your perspectives on the dangers of picking up again. I have two years and a few months of sobriety after decades of daily drinking, and on occasion have those fleeting thoughts of maybe I could have a couple drinks once again because I got this under control. Your stories remind me that seeking a quick buzz isn't worth reliving the hell that drinking has caused each of us over our lives.

I hope you can get back on the sober train ReadyAtLast and that everyone here continues forward on their sober journeys.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I felt so good after quitting for 12 months and felt I had the genie in the jar. But once the lid pops....boom. On a personal level, I guess hoping that I could drink was not only just about being able to have the choice of having a beer and enjoying social occasions and the normaties others can, but it was about being normal in my own head. I've stigmatized myself as "something's wrong with me". Whilst there is, as well adjusted people don't drink way beyond what is healthy to the destructive, accepting that I'm not able too makes me no more abnormal than a diabetic person needing to take insulin or avoid foods. That and knowing there's alot of us! Different..not 'not normal'.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am in the same boat as you, I was sober for around 14 months but over the past year have started drinking again (moderately/ every few weeks to start) and slowly it has taken over and I've sunk back into old habits. I am here before I decline any further.
Like you, I believed I had enough distance and had conquered my demons.
I was the happiest and healthiest I had ever been during that 14 months. I was pregnant for most of it and enjoying the euphoria of having a newborn. When he was about 4 months old I went out and thought I would have a couple of drinks but as soon as I had the first sip, the greed overtook me.
Wishing you success xx
Old 07-30-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks stargazer, bottletop and awkwardkitty. I saw your post earlier too kitty. Welcome back.

We can do this together.