Notices

why i dont drink

Old 07-29-2017, 03:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

why i dont drink

day 9 of being sober, somehow found myself in an unplanned, unscheduled meet up with people that I really could not avoid without looking very very rude. Long story short, I accepted I was in that situation and I cant control everything, but I drank coke, I was happy drinking coke, and had made a plan that the moment a thought or the voice sounds up. I am leaving on the spot, no hanging about. I am gone.

Eventually the question came up, why don't I have a proper drink as I don't have the kids and was not driving (was local). I didnt know some of these people well and had never ever been asked why I am not drinking as I usually had a pregnant belly to explain myself! I had no prep for an answer, I had replied 'I don't drink' when asked, but when they said 'why not?' I really had no answer. But I found the words come out my mouth without thinking, my reply was 'because I get emotional and chaotic when I drink, and I need to look after this (and pointed at my temple)..... its corny, and cheesy and all those things. But its the truest words ive said, and the very basis of why I am doing what I am. Nobody said a thing after that. it was just an 'ok then' and we all moved on.

I'm quite shocked how that affected me saying those words out loud to someone. I'm more shocked, that I don't care how it was received, because its the truth. And I don't care to be fake anymore
Old 07-29-2017, 04:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's the way to do it
Old 07-29-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's fantastic! Being authentic is one of the many things I love about being sober. Well done on a great and honest response
Old 07-29-2017, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very well done. I promise you with some more sober time your attitude will change when asked that question. You will be confident and proud and be far less self conscious about what others think. Good for you😀
Old 07-29-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When asked- I say 'because I choose not to'. No justification, or guilt- people really do not care- except their own comfort. No logical reasons or excuses- no 'I am an alcoholic'...just because I choose not to.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job!
Old 07-29-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Real is rare"
Old 07-29-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Boxer

Awesome!! That's beautiful
Old 07-29-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noturningback2 View Post
'because I get emotional and chaotic when I drink, and I need to look after this (and pointed at my temple).....
I'm going to add this to my list of 'standard responses' to that query.

It applies to me also.