Notices

56 days sober!

Old 07-27-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

56 days sober!

Hey everyone,

Instead of always coming on here and saying 'day 1' etc I thought I would just do it myself this time and actually post when I have made some progress! I have not even visited the site to be honest.

So today I will have not touched a drop since the 31st of May! Very happy with myself. It was also my 31st Birthday three days ago also, didn't touch a drop!

Its been a difficult year also. My mother passed away suddenly at the start of April this year. I really hit the wine then, big style.

So what did I do different this time...not much really, I stayed away from temptations such as the local pub etc. Concentrated on looking after my grandma as I am her carer. Since the passing of my mother I now manage my grandma's commercial properties that we rent out which takes up quite a lot of time. I have not joined any none drinking groups or anything. Just cut it out. My almost three year old black Labrador has been for stud twice now and from the first time I got pick of the litter which I am picking up on the 13th of this month so that will keep me busy! The second time he went with the same breeder and instead of cash (my Labrador is KC registered) they are paying for his hip and elbow score to be done so might 'pimp' him out a few more times!

When I stopped drinking I did the same Valium/Diazepam taper as before which lasted about a week. I still have a few left over but only had to take a very small dose a couple of times since quitting when in was in scenarios of high anxiety such as travelling through London via the tubes. The first time I went down to London sober I did take a bottle of wine with me on the train in my bag, just incase my anxiety got to bad but it was fine and I gave the wine away to a friend I was staying with.

I think the Baclofen has made it so much easier also. I get it from my doctor and take 2 tablets three times a day but sometimes miss a day/dose by mistake and don't feel any craving coming on. Will talk to him about reducing the dosage also but Im on a very low dose as it is for drinking related uses anyhow.

I put on a small amount of weight when I quite but that soon came off and if anything I need to put on some weight now! I sleep better, my mood is better, my anxiety is about 10% of what it used to be. I mean its still there but nothing like before.

So just wanted to let you all know how I'm getting on! For me its been keeping busy and Baclofen!

All the best everyone.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats hopscotch - glad to hear that you have a plan that is working and that you are keeping in touch with your doctor and making changes as needed. Don't be a stranger, you'll find lots of support here to if you need it.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't even know you yet so proud of you considering what you have had to endure lately!.....You a warrior bro
Old 07-27-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fantastic on 56 days
Old 07-29-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

Longest I made it before was just short of one month and that was 2nd Jan 2016 till the 1st of February 2016.

I really think Baclofen has helped me massively. Even with the death of my mother recently I haven't felt the urge to just drink and forget which is pretty much exactly what I would of done in the past and what I did after she died in early April.

Im no doctor and cannot give medical advice as per forum rules etc so to anyone struggling then google Baclofen and effects on drink etc and speak to your GP/Doctor. I was a 'guinea pig' for using it for drink/anxiety related issues and my GP has been very happy with the results. Some people drink while taking them and keep upping the dose till they hit there 'switch' point where they can just say no and have no urge but mine was different, I just took a low dose and stayed at the same level after I stopped and it worked for me.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom. It's a difficult passage.

Congratulations on doing so well! I'm about in the same ballpark as you, from late May.

Thanks for the encouraging post and info and stick around if you'd like.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time.