Notices

What do you do with all the extra cash?

Old 07-26-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you do with all the extra cash?

As well as not going out drinking and drugging I'm also doing better at my job, earning more and not making stupid financial decisions. I got a rebate and had a nice cash win within a few days of each other and was telling a colleague about it saying I can take a few extra days of and buy some more bits for my girlfriends birthday. And he stopped me after a bit and said hey spend some on yourself. I thought about it and realised i don't really do anything anymore I still work hard and do the over time because I always have. I put a certain amount into a share based saving scheme but the rest just sits in my bank. Due to low interest at the minute it's probably just losing money year after year? Anyone else come across having lots of extra money slowly but surely building up? Anyone made any investments or done anything interesting with their dollar?
Old 07-26-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I opened a new investment account and am sending the ~$500 or so that I would normally spend on alcohol each month into instead. The ultimate reward I think!
Old 07-26-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just don't spend it. Save it for an emergency. It is nice to have money in case something should happen.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you have a life insurance policy? It's a very interesting saving scheme tax-wise (at least in France, I don't know if it's the same in the UK).
Old 07-26-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah it does add up cansof old, I'm putting £450 a month into 2 saving accounts.

I don't have life insurance prodigy as my pension which I have increased pays out If I die, more than enough for a burial and a finger buffet down the local.

I will save Brenda just seems like a waste with interest less than inflation
Old 07-26-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Many things to do with the money. Fatten my savings account for those unexpected expenses, take a trip, buy something I've wanted to buy for a while but couldn't afford it, invest some of it, etc. John
Old 07-26-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I spend it on ice cream.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Always good to have an emergency cash fund.
I have read that there is an app you can install that can tell you daily how much you are saving by not drinking.
Plug in the drinks you are not having, and voila.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Having an emergency ice cream fund is good, too.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RuneStone View Post
I spend it on ice cream.
Yes, ice-cream, chocolate eclares (sp), jelly filled donuts, french silked pies, yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!! John
Don't forget the healthy stuff like cheese filled omelletts with bacon (can't spell to save my life but you get the point), kisch, ribs with plenty of sauce, stuffed crabs, twice baked potatoes with sour cream and steak with an unhealthy load of garlic and seasonings merinated overnight. Not promoting this kind of diet. Everything in moderation. Gotta live, right? PS. I do supplement my unhealthy food intake with a lot of greens and vegetables along with being a gym rat. Vitamins is a plus. John
Old 07-26-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I want to preface my last post by saying that a healthy lifestyle is very important to a sober life and that includes eating well. John
Old 07-26-2017, 08:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have teens.....there is no such thing as extra cash!! LOL!!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It may seem crazy, but my alcohol never really set me back financially. I calculated it one week. It was probably only about 40 dollars or less per week. I drank the cheapest vodka and I lived in a state notoriously cheap for its liquor. I also only drank at home.