Notices

Day 22

Old 07-26-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 22

I know that there is another Day 22 thread going on, but I still wanted my own...

I am feeling fairly proud of my 22nd day, and I am pretty certain I will complete it so I can go from 21 to 22 days.

Some thoughts occurred to me over this past weekend. I became aware that a lot of my drinking could be traced to boredom. My AV spoke up a lot over the weekend... "hey, nothing's going on, no kids over. Sure is quiet. Wouldn't a drink be fun?" Over and over. Happily, I wasn't tempted. Just remembering my plan, should I decide to grab the keys and make that short trip to the liquor store, was enough to quiet the AV for a while. Part of my plan is that I have two friends - both recovering - who have agreed that if I should find myself ready to make a bad decision I can call for support. One of them said that he had always had a reason to drink, whatever it was. My thing is that I never needed a reason - I just wanted a drink, so I did. But my plan is to call them if I am going to make a bad choice.

Also, why is it that people always look at you like you're nuts if you refuse an alcoholic beverage? You can refuse literally anything else and no one has the slightest reaction. But turn down a beer and they don't understand. (I do not advertise that I am an alcoholic in recovery - I don't want to make it a thing for everyone else. If I am not capable of turning down a drink then I am lost. The world will not quit because I have.)

But it makes me wonder what line the rest of you use? My friend says, "Thanks, but I have finished all of mine." I like this because it is humorous but still gets the point across. What do you say?
Old 07-26-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 22 days!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 22! I also think I drank out of boredom. I'm not really out in situations very often where I am offered alcohol, but when it does happen I've found that my response changes depending on who is asking. If it's someone I trust, I usually say, "I quit drinking awhile ago. It just wasn't good for my anxiety." To others, I just give a polite, "No, thank you," and change the subject.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on 22 days
Old 07-26-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go skipper!!