Notices

Bird beating its wings against the glass

Old 07-25-2017, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bird beating its wings against the glass

For some reason this image strikes me when I think about all of us who have been taken over by alcohol, but wanting, with some sort of magical thinking, to go back to drinking casually and "normally". It's not going to happen.

I picture the moderators as having seen it thousands upon thousands of times. People wanting to be the exception. But it's like watching a bird hitting against a window, thinking there's clear sky, when there's a firm barrier of glass. The way through is never going to open, but that bird is going to keep on trying, damaging its wings, tiring itself out, getting more and more panicked and desperate. Trying everything every other bird has tried before. But it's not going to happen.

For over 10 years I was a moderator on another online forum, for a medical condition. It's not the same thing as this, really, but the pattern I think must be similar, especially for the moderators.

Over the years, countless new people came. But no matter how different the personalities, circumstances and backgrounds, the problems, issues and worries related to the illness and its treatment were universal. Nothing was a surprise after a while. Over time, you could see it coming. Every worry, fear, complication. Every attempt to bargain and find a way out. The answer was always the same. You wished you could save people from the arc of what they had to go through to get to the other side. But you can't do it for them.

I don't mean to sound dismissive.. It's hard for a reason, and I'm in the midst of it too.

But it illustrates, I think, how all of us suffering would save ourselves so much grief, pain, damage and TIME, if we would just accept the gently but persistently offered advice, instead of keeping on beating against that glass.

We can't drink normally anymore.

We can't "hope" to quit, or "try" to quit.

We have to just do it.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Wow.. What a insightful post!
Old 07-25-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

That was so powerful! It really spoke to me down to my soul. Thank you for that wonderful post. It has had a major impact on me. I am very visual and the image will stay with me for a very long time. It was eye-opening!!
Old 07-25-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
For some reason this image strikes me when I think about all of us who have been taken over by alcohol, but wanting, with some sort of magical thinking, to go back to drinking casually and "normally". It's not going to happen.

I picture the moderators as having seen it thousands upon thousands of times. People wanting to be the exception. But it's like watching a bird hitting against a window, thinking there's clear sky, when there's a firm barrier of glass. The way through is never going to open, but that bird is going to keep on trying, damaging its wings, tiring itself out, getting more and more panicked and desperate. Trying everything every other bird has tried before. But it's not going to happen.

For over 10 years I was a moderator on another online forum, for a medical condition. It's not the same thing as this, really, but the pattern I think must be similar, especially for the moderators.

Over the years, countless new people came. But no matter how different the personalities, circumstances and backgrounds, the problems, issues and worries related to the illness and its treatment were universal. Nothing was a surprise after a while. Over time, you could see it coming. Every worry, fear, complication. Every attempt to bargain and find a way out. The answer was always the same. You wished you could save people from the arc of what they had to go through to get to the other side. But you can't do it for them.

I don't mean to sound dismissive.. It's hard for a reason, and I'm in the midst of it too.

But it illustrates, I think, how all of us suffering would save ourselves so much grief, pain, damage and TIME, if we would just accept the gently but persistently offered advice, instead of keeping on beating against that glass.

We can't drink normally anymore.

We can't "hope" to quit, or "try" to quit.

We have to just do it.
I have been reading this post over and over gaining insight each time. I shared it with my July Class, too! Thank you again for sharing.♡CR
Old 07-25-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

CR, I'm so glad it helped! <3
Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I have been reading your other post, too! The "wine-drinking" one since that was my choice. Very insightful. What does it mean when you say 'bump' your post?
Old 07-25-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
I have been reading your other post, too! The "wine-drinking" one since that was my choice. Very insightful. What does it mean when you say 'bump' your post?
Hi CR,

Bump means to add a comment at the bottom of an older thread, so that it will pop back up on the first page of active threads on the forum. That was my introductory thread, when I first posted out loud here, back in May. I've been adding updates to it as I go along, as well as posting new standalone threads. If you go to the first page, that's my intro:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rate-stop.html

So glad if any of this helps anyone! As I say, I hope it's not annoying to keep updating it.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

It was very helpful to go back and start from the beginning. I was relating quite well. Thanks for your reply. ♡CR
Old 07-25-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Really hits the nail on the head. Thanks for articulating it so well.