Notices

finally admitting I have a problem

Old 07-25-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

finally admitting I have a problem

I've been binge drinking for many years. I never had to drink every day but the last several months have really scared me. I've managed to come home and drink alone several nights of the week, wake up hung over, go to work exhausted and feeling depressed. I'm finally scared about this. I used to drink sporadically with friends only and now I find myself years later drinking alone to numb my feelings.

Unfortunately, I've managed to cause arguments with family and friends the last few months and went off on a group text tirade to family and friends saying some pretty rotten things. I've been pretty ashamed at my behavior these last several months.

I'm glad I'm realizing I need to stop this before it gets worse. I was never this person while drinking but I'm seeing it escalating. I've never really made a serious attempt to quit drinking. What also scares me is that I've been experiencing some of the things I'm reading about here on the days I don't drink - fatigue, depression, anxiety. This will be day one for me. I know I am going to need some support and will keep reading these forums as they've helped open my eyes to many things already.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done to realizing that you have a problem, you will get lots of help and great advice on here, good luck
Old 07-25-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! So glad you are here, elenkos. This is a wonderful place. Keep reading and posting and lean on everyone here.

Life can be so much better.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! A lot of good info and support here! I was the same but, dismissed my drunken 'antics' for longer than needed. When it escalates it escalates fast!
Old 07-25-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done in recognising you have aproblem and starting to do something about it. I got a massive amount of motivation from coming on here and reading the posts. Every moment you go without a drink is a victory to be cherished.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Welcome and glad you are here.
The first post says it all.
Your Day 1 is here... we are here to help if you need anything.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey, it takes alot to just admit u have a problem, its certainly what I wrestled with for a long time. Ive been here b4 & managed 6 months sobriety, im back on day 1, keep posting & reading, we all understand
Old 07-25-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was so glad to find some real support here. I needed it as a fellow binge drinker heading for shameful disaster. Now I'm over 100 days, no regrets, no turning back. I'm going to restablish the real me again. Welcome. This is a great community.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Elenkos!

I'm glad you decided to stop drinking.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, elenkos! I am really happy you are here.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

WELCOME. Support is very necessary for me- with a doc, counselling and meetings.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I never imagined how much havok alcohol wrecks on your mood and the way you speak to people. So much destroyed.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is remarkable how this can progress from drinking socially with friends to drinking alone and feeling depressed.

You're quitting at the right time, the spiral only continues downward from there. Welcome aboard.