SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Fun or not! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/413276-fun-not.html)

Kassir 07-25-2017 07:45 AM

Fun or not!

Hey guys,
So now i've been around 3 months sober and i was invited to a nightclub party. I was wondering if it is safe to go ! And has anyone tried clubbing wihout alcohol, is it still fun ?!

doggonecarl 07-25-2017 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kassir (Post 6549935)
Hey guys,
I was wondering if it is safe to go !

If there's a chance you'll drink, then no, it's not safe.

I avoided alcohol-centric events until I had about 9 months sober. Went to a wedding and reception. And that was tough. No, I couldn't have gone out at three months. Too soon.

MidnightRider 07-25-2017 08:17 AM

Yes.. I am sure it's possible if you are ready.

Make a plan.

Plan exactly what you will be drinking.

I ordered soda and lime and in a Short glass. (not a tall glass). Because the tall glass prompted people to ask "what are you drinking" ? I did not want to deal with that sorta thing. OH and do not let anyone get a drink for you..... You handle your own.

Keep SR on your smartphone.

Also have an Exit plan.

I way out and a way home ...if you cannot stay for "some" reason.

tomsteve 07-25-2017 08:28 AM

when i was early in recovery and wondered if something was safe for me to do, a friend would tell me:
"if youre wondering if its safe to do, ya already know its not.do you want to live or die?"

MidnightRider 07-25-2017 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by tomsteve (Post 6549997)
when i was early in recovery and wondered if something was safe for me to do, a friend would tell me:
"if youre wondering if its safe to do, ya already know its not.do you want to live or die?"

THIS.. is very good advice too

ScottFromWI 07-25-2017 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kassir (Post 6549935)
Hey guys,
So now i've been around 3 months sober and i was invited to a nightclub party. I was wondering if it is safe to go ! And has anyone tried clubbing wihout alcohol, is it still fun ?!

I attempted to go to a few bars a couple of months into my sobriety and successfully did so without drinking, but it definitely was not fun. It was certainly eye opening as I realized how loud, obnoxious and generally annoying I must have been back when I was drinking.

My rule of thumb is that I go places and attend events where drinking might also be taking place ( restaurants, weddings, graduation parties etc )...but I do not attend events where drinking alcohol is the primary focus. Bars and nightclubs would fit in that category for me - they are places that exclusively exist for drinking alcohol, and i don't drink alcohol anymore.

Taevans64 07-25-2017 11:13 AM

My rule of thumb is that I go places and attend events where drinking might also be taking place ( restaurants, weddings, graduation parties etc )...but I do not attend events where drinking alcohol is the primary focus. Bars and nightclubs would fit in that category for me - they are places that exclusively exist for drinking alcohol, and i don't drink alcohol anymore.[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind I've just stolen your rule of thumb as my new rule of thumb!

CreativeThinker 07-25-2017 11:23 AM

I am over 5 months sober and I do not feel that it would be a wise decision for me to go. But everyone is different. :dunno

Carpathia 07-25-2017 11:32 AM

It could be an interesting experiment for you. Certainly you'll learn more about yourself and your disease.

I experimented early in recovery. It was rather stressful. I wouldn't put myself in that situation again, but as CreativeThinker writes, everyone is different.

Kassir 07-26-2017 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by tomsteve (Post 6549997)

You are most probably right. Maybe i should wait to take such action.

tomsteve 07-26-2017 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kassir (Post 6550997)
You are most probably right. Maybe i should wait to take such action.

it is something to think about.
some things i have to ask myself when going anywhere there is alcohol:

do i have a legitimate reason for going?
if not, then best not to

Have I any good social, business, or personal reason for going to this place? Or am I expecting to steal a little vicarious pleasure from the atmosphere of such?
if i am, best not to go