Notices

Day 5 of unplanned sobriety

Old 07-24-2017, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 of unplanned sobriety

I did tony Robbins upw thurs-sun. My 2nd time doing it. 2.5 years ago while my wife was pregnant w our 2nd son I quit drinking for 5 months and since have gotten back to my "mild" drinking so my av says. Wine every night and sneaking vodka with it to get drunk and pass out.

The last 6 months I got a bit worse adding in oxi. My thought was that the tony Robbins event would be the thing that shakes the real me back and causes the desire to finally stop.

Haven't drank since weds. Haven't had oxy in 8 days. I feel pretty good but don't feel the strong desire to stay sober.

I had box seats to phish concert tomorrow with free food and drinks but I am not going. As of now I intend to not drink but don't have much passion behind it.

A weird feeling. I wish I was more passionate about this.

I tried aa before but felt really out of place with how intense everyone was. I've never had withdrawals and I never day drink.

Any thoughts? Just thought I'd share. I have trouble sleeping which is only one of the reasons I drank

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2017, 09:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi David

I drank and used for so long I was apathetic about nearly everything - even for a while after I quit.

For the initial period I wasn't sure what I wanted either.. but the support here really helped.

I saw happy people and I wanted to be happy too.

I had to commit to something and I committed to making decisions based on wanting to be sober, because drinking and drugging was not working.

After a few months I got my energy and enthusiasm back

D
Old 07-25-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by David79 View Post
Any thoughts? Just thought I'd share. I have trouble sleeping which is only one of the reasons I drank...
You are drinking and taking Oxy. You're an addict. Own it. Address it. There are solutions out there. Don't like AA? Try NA.

I don't know if you have to be 100% passionate about recovery to stay clean. But you do have to be committed. One hundred percent committed to not drink or use...no matter how dispassionate your feelings about sobriety are. It's early in the process. Stay sober and your apathy will decline.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Doggone Carl said it. I agree fully with him. Your apathy will decline and your resolve will get stronger every day that passes. Once you tally a few weeks, you will feel so proud, but there must be a change from the times before, and it is the commitment he talks about. Why not commit fully this time around? That way, you never have to do a 1st day again.

Hope you will find the strength. SR has been a constant force for me. It will also be for you, especially if you stick around.

Best wishes, hope you can make the leap to full commitment...
Old 07-25-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcohol is a depressant and it could be that you will begin to feel more interest in recovery. It does take some patience in order to hang in there until you really do feel better.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So, I am new here as of literally 20 minutes ago. lol. Anyways happen to stumble on your post and it made me think of something that a friend told me when i told him I wanted to quit drinking. He told me " you dont have to like it, consider it a job. Yeah it sucks sometimes, but there are more important things going on than what your pride is telling you. Treat like a job, sometimes you just gotta do it." I didnt just quit drinking either, I also quit smoking and chewing. hahaha, I have apologized to my friends in advance. lol